Moderator Control Panel ]

Useful Resources

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Useful Resources

Postby meekhcs » Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 am

I am deliberately writing this in GFQ as I think most people head here first!

So to help everyone before the Forum closes would you all take the time to add any obscure/ interesting/ subject specific websites you have or are currently using which could prove helpful to fellow users that we may not have come across.

I will start the process with www.opcdorset.org A free website, actively maintained, for Dorset parish registers etc.
I will add more when I am on my laptop.

This may quicken the process for people trying to sift through posts to gather such info.

Thank you Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Re: Useful Resources

Postby clarksclerks » Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 pm

People with Australian connections are often frustrated at the long withholding period for BDMs because of privacy legislation. One excellent source for some deaths is the Ryerson Index
https://www.ryersonindex.org/

It is a free index to death and funeral notices published in nearly all Australian newspapers and gives name, date and place of death/funeral as shown in the notice. It is updated weekly or so by a keen band of volunteers. It is great if your family was important or rich enough to put a notice in a newspaper, and in country towns most people noted their relatives' passing in this way. Funeral directors often did this as a form of advertising. The index gives the name and date of publication of the relevant newspaper so you can follow up details. The National Library has a free and comprehensive collection of newspapers to about 1950s on line at https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ but more recent notices can be hard to track down and many are behind firewalls.

Judging by my local paper, it seems families still publish death notices in print while matchings and hatchings have gone to social media.
clarksclerks

Postby Templ4r » Sun May 10, 2020 10:29 am

Old books, Parish registers and a lot more stuff. All free to download

https://archive.org/

Just donate a few quid every so often.
Templ4r

Postby Artognou » Sun May 10, 2020 2:38 pm

This site has been invaluable to my Hebridean research, definitely the go to place, should you have ancestry from the isles!

www.mullfamilies.co.uk
Artognou

Postby DarrenP » Fri May 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Let's not forget Google. It is surprising how often you can find information about your ancestors with a simple name and/or place search. Also excellent for finding more information on a topic related to an ancestor.
DarrenP

Return to General research queries