Moderator Control Panel ]

Important Announcement: This forum will close in June

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Re: Important Announcement: This forum will close on 1 June

Postby Lucretia66 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am

Very sad. I have joined the Facebook group. So sorry to see this closing. I suggest that everyone print off copies of anything relating to your own personal topics, as I have.
Lucretia66

Postby LarryCooper89 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 am

Hi everyone,

I’ve not been able to find out if there is any progress on organising a replacement. But I am in the process of downloading the entire forum contents and wondered if anyone would be interested if doable to host it so you can access previous content?

Thank you
LarryCooper89

Postby paulr1949 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:25 am

LarryCooper89 wrote:Hi everyone,

I’ve not been able to find out if there is any progress on organising a replacement. But I am in the process of downloading the entire forum contents and wondered if anyone would be interested if doable to host it so you can access previous content?

Thank you

Hi Larry,

See my post on page 3

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm
by paulr1949
I have decided o download what data I can. So far I have downloaded about 11 pages of “general reasearch”, most of the “useful resources” for the last 2 years, some genealogy chat, and I’ve just started on the military posts. I intend to load it all onto a cloud drive and will post the link here as soon as I can so anyone who wants can download it. A warning - its a big file!

I have already downloaded the last 2 years worth of General Questions, Military History, Useful resources and Genealogy chat and hope to post a link to where it can be found later today. It would probably be sensible not to duplicate efforts ;)
Paul
paulr1949

Postby LarryCooper89 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 am

paulr1949 wrote:
LarryCooper89 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thank you

Hi Larry,

See my post on page 3

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm
by paulr1949
I have decided o download what data I can. So far I have downloaded about 11 pages of “general reasearch”, most of the “useful resources” for the last 2 years, some genealogy chat, and I’ve just started on the military posts. I intend to load it all onto a cloud drive and will post the link here as soon as I can so anyone who wants can download it. A warning - its a big file!

I have already downloaded the last 2 years worth of General Questions, Military History, Useful resources and Genealogy chat and hope to post a link to where it can be found later today. It would probably be sensible not to duplicate efforts ;)

That’s great. Do you plan to save it as a pdf type file or host it somewhere like a website?
LarryCooper89

Postby paulr1949 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:25 pm

That’s great. Do you plan to save it as a pdf type file or host it somewhere like a website?

I'm going to save it as a pdf. It will go on my gogle drive (which I don't use much) so can stay there until I need the space (if I need it!).
I over-reported on the "General" section, I've actually done about 9 months worth at the moment, hopefully I'll get a bit more done before it's too late.
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Lucretia66 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:55 am

May I just ask if the magazine will continue to be published please? A lot of magazines are closing down just down, either temporarily or permanently, some citing the coronavirus as the cause or due to lack of interest. Thanks
Lucretia66

Postby gardener48 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 pm

The worst part about this was that the forum app closed down before this message was posted. When trying to log in just got a message saying "licence invalid see administrator". It took an email to the editor to find out that the forum was closing. NOT impressed.
gardener48

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon May 18, 2020 8:47 am

Lucretia66 wrote:May I just ask if the magazine will continue to be published please? A lot of magazines are closing down just down, either temporarily or permanently, some citing the coronavirus as the cause or due to lack of interest. Thanks

Hi Lucretia,

The magazine will definitely continue to be published as normal! Fortunately we haven't been affected too badly by the coronavirus because large numbers of our readers are subscribers (and individual copies are also available to order online for those who can't get to the shops.) The magazine overall is doing well and we hope to continue delivering family history guides and features both in print and on our new website. It's just that unfortunately we had to save money by not transferring the forum.

Thanks,

Rosemary
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Postby paulr1949 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:47 am

Dear all,

I have uploaded posts (as PDF files) from the General Research queries, Military queries, Genealogy Chat and Useful resources forums, for various periods (General is only about 10 months as it is so large - and its in three portions, with a fourth under way). They can be found at this link

https://bit.ly/WDYTYAForums

I have tried to copy nearly everything - there are some posts missing where there was no reply, or where it refers to free access etc no longer available. I've formatted it a bit where practical. The only things that are definitely missing are some of the attachments, where using the "print view" suggested by Sarah didn't copy them across. A lot of them I found and pasted in, and I hope to find at least some of the missing ones before the end of the month.
Any further updates (and there will be some) will be posted in the same folder, so check back later as they say
Sorry, but I can't accept any responsibility for any errors ;-)
Paul
paulr1949

Postby KayFarndon » Tue May 19, 2020 7:47 am

I think all computers can be slightly different in how they present items and I am still on an old Windows, not Windows 10 as yet. I had a problem with the instructions given by Sarah, in that what was supposed to appear on my screen, didn't. I had already saved everything to My Favourites, but a message told me that when the forum posts were deleted, mine, saved as I thought, would also go.

It was suggested I should save them in a different format and that each thread would need to be saved individually, as only what appeared on the screen would be saved. I am fairly computer literate, although probably most forum users will be more so, but no idea how to do this, so turned to a friend for help and this was the method I used.

I did a right click on print, which brought up the box for printing details. It showed a long bar which I had to slide to the right and do a double click on the XPS which appeared and choose where to save it. This will save everything on the thread, not just what is on the screen, but all the pages and messages.

I hope this will be of some help to forum users, especially those like me who often need help with computing actions.
KayFarndon

PreviousNext

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat