Moderator Control Panel ]

Important Announcement: This forum will close in June

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Re: Important Announcement: This forum will close on 1 June

Postby peter kent » Sat May 09, 2020 10:55 am

Try British Genealogy forum

https://www.british-genealogy.com/forum/
peter kent

Postby SDV » Sat May 09, 2020 11:01 am

A great pity, as over the years this forum has proved very useful. I am already a member of Rootschat under a different username, and find it another useful forum.

Over the years, I have posted "brick walls" to both forums. For the most part, both have responded well. It is noticeable, however, that some topics get a better response on one forum rather than the other, but not in any predictable pattern. I would not have recommended one over the other, as both have helped me considerably. There are contributors on both sites with great insight, though each has his or her own areas of expertise. But even experts don't always think alike, sometimes a person on one forum will have the relevant experience or be able to make a wild guess that will lead to a breakthrough, that no-one on the other site is able to match.

Losing this forum reduces the number of experts and helpful contributors, which is a great shame. I doubt that everyone will transfer en masse to Rootschat or anywhere else, which sadly reduces the pool of expertise. Hopefully something will emerge from the private e-mails that are circulating, though I am afraid that I won't be able to offer any expertise in building a new forum. I hope it comes to fruition and will almost certainly join. I am afraid, however, that I will not be using Facebook or anything similar, as such apps are not a substitute for a dedicated forum.

Finally, I would like to thank all those who have helped me in the past. The list is too long to name all the individuals, but I feel that I should mention ianbee, adrian and mo v, who have all helped me enormously with their knowledge and insights.
SDV

Postby devonliz » Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Tragic! This is such a friendly, authoritative forum - I have received help, given a little too over the years - and learned a lot. The layout and readability are better than Rootschat - but I suppose we will have to go there in the end.
It does seem a bit odd to feature the Forum and current queries in the most recent issue of the magazine, and then to announce its closure ....
devonliz

Postby paulr1949 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:18 pm

I would echo the comments of many in that I’ve always found this forum friendly and very helpful. I have only posted a few times requesting help, but have always read through the posts on brick walls etc and found them interesting. I feel that regular posters and helpers on here have become virtual friends.
I would certainly join any future forum, but again I’m not really knowledgeable enough to do anything about it practically.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Editor » Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Hello everyone, I just wanted to come back in again to respond to some of the points being raised here. I do understand that a Facebook Group is not the same as a forum. I agree with Guy that it's not so easy to categorise threads and find them. We didn't launch the Group to replace the forum, it was just another way for family historians to exchange information. Some people feel more at home on Facebook than joining a forum, but I realise that won't suit some people. I just mentioned it in case people were interested and I've been delighted to see some regular names joining up recently.

We did think about archiving the forum but it would just confuse new people coming onto our website. I realise that saving threads is not going to be easy and I can only apologise for that.

If WDYTYA forum users would like to create a replacement forum using a free forum platform such as www.createaforum.com or www.forumotion.com then we would be happy to alert magazine readers and our various followers. If this is a route that you would like to go down, then it would make sense to set this up as soon as possible so that it can be announced via this forum.

I'm sorry again for the disappointment this has caused. It is not a decision we took lightly.

Regards,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Editor » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 am

For those who want to keep a record of any of their favourite threads, I have worked out a relatively simple way of doing it (or at least better than doing a whole load of cutting and pasting).

Go onto the thread you want to keep and you should see near the top, right, there is an option to 'Go to print view'. Select this option and then do Control P (or Command P or whatever you do to print things on your computer). This then comes up with various print options. Scroll down and select Open PDF in Preview. You can then save the page as a PDF. If the thread you're interested in runs to more than one page (and I know some of the best threads did!) then I'm afraid you have to do the same process for each page.

Hope that helps!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby LarryCooper89 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Good evening,

I will set up a replacement forum if someone else hasn’t already done so, if you could let me know? If not then I will get it set up in the coming days.

Thank you

Lawrence
LarryCooper89

Postby paulr1949 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm

I have decided o download what data I can. So far I have downloaded about 11 pages of “general reasearch”, most of the “useful resources” for the last 2 years, some genealogy chat, and I’ve just started on the military posts. I intend to load it all onto a cloud drive and will post the link here as soon as I can so anyone who wants can download it. A warning - its a big file!
Paul
paulr1949

Postby phsvm » Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 am

As some of you are aware (as I've sent you a PM) a group of us are currently looking into setting up a forum. If anyone is interested but has not heard from me perhaps they could send me a PM.
phsvm

Postby LarryCooper89 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:32 am

phsvm wrote:As some of you are aware (as I've sent you a PM) a group of us are currently looking into setting up a forum. If anyone is interested but has not heard from me perhaps they could send me a PM.

How far are you with this? I’ve set up and run forums before for other topics and can offer any assistance needed. I was happy to do it myself with a few people to act as moderators but don’t want to step on anyone’s toes if there’s already a project in progress.
LarryCooper89

PreviousNext

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat