Moderator Control Panel ]

Important Announcement: This forum will close in June

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Re: Important Announcement: This forum will close on 1 June

Postby Guy » Thu May 07, 2020 6:55 pm

I agree very sad news, Facebook is ok for a quick message and reply but subjects are quickly lost in the postings and cannot replace a forum.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby phsvm » Thu May 07, 2020 7:22 pm

Stunned.

I haven't thought this through at all but could the forum members set up our own forum along the same lines?

I know there are other forums like this one already but this one has so many talented and knowledgeable members it would be tragic to loose all that expertise.

For any one who has researched WW1 you will undoubtedly have used the Great War Forum - what an amazing success that is. Could we do something similar?

I'm happy to try and co-ordinate something - although someone else will need to be the expertise behind this as I am a bit of a technophobe when in comes to the nitty-gritty! But if anyone is interested then perhaps if they would like to PM me I can collect names so that we can start to work together to ensure we have another equally valueable resource in the future.
phsvm

Postby tpiy » Thu May 07, 2020 8:23 pm

This is a real shame. I am only an occasional user of the forum but I have found that the expert knowledge demonstrated by members online is often very helpful in breaking down brick walls or suggesting new areas that might be explored. An online forum is essential to amateur genealogists. It would be worth paying a small yearly subscription for, and I am sure it would be well supported by the genealogy community. Somebody needs to keep a forum of this type going.
tpiy

Postby HardWork » Thu May 07, 2020 10:47 pm

A great shame! The last thing I would want to do though is to help increase Mr. Zuckerberg's wealth by joining Facebook as a substitute, so it will have to be au revoir. Rather worrying to me though that you talk of the level of privacy that people expect and Facebook within the same statement.
Last edited by HardWork on Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HardWork

Postby Narnie » Thu May 07, 2020 10:50 pm

I'm just an occasional poster but I often read other queries and responses as it's all part of learning. I am very sad to see it go. I've had a few of my problems solved by the kindness, generosity and expertise of other members and I know that goes for many others.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Narnie

Postby paulr1949 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:27 am

What terrible news. I too log on most days and, whilst I’ve only replied to a small number of posts, I have found the information provided by many contributors very interesting and useful. I agree about the archive- especially as I’m not sure if it’s possible to download anything other than individual posts which would be horrendously time consumer.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby meekhcs » Fri May 08, 2020 8:39 am

I agree with Paul. I am a long time member and haven’t the time to re visit all the posts I have made or contributed to before June 1st to save any relevant items, let alone check through for resources etc.
The whole Forum doesn’t need to be archived, but maybe the Research section-general, military, photo, useful resources, could be kept as a closed, but searchable, archive?

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Fri May 08, 2020 10:59 am

If the archiving of the site is unclear I may try to go back through my posts and save them locally on my laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
JaneyH

Postby KayFarndon » Sat May 09, 2020 8:38 am

I am devastated by the news that the forum is to close. It was always my first port of call when I needed information and though I am a seasoned genealogist, even I had blocks where I just could not fathom something, but there would always be help from a forum user.

I send my grateful thanks to all forum users who have responded to my messages and as I do not and never intend to join Facebook, will be searching the Internet to find, not a replacement, but others ways of gaining information.

Phsvm makes a good suggestion and I do apologise as I am not in a position to be of any help in creating a similar forum.

I send my sincere thanks to all editorial staff who have been involved with the forum and to the many forum users, among which I have made several friends.
KayFarndon

Postby KayFarndon » Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 am

I posted my last message at 8.38am and have spent the time since [now 10.24am] going through all 15 of my pages on the forum. Some I had totally forgotten and others were interesting to re-read, but not of any use to me as most of them solved now.

I have never been any good at cutting and pasting to folders, so decided to see what would happen if I did a right click and saved to to My Favourites. Voila! There they all are, just sitting and waiting for me to catalogue them into their correct families for future reference. I had thought that perhaps saving that way might just give me a link to the Forum, but so easy.

It does prompt me to ask whether all the posts will be deleted when the forum closes?
KayFarndon

PreviousNext

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat