Moderator Control Panel ]

Details of a murder

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Details of a murder

Postby phsvm » Mon May 04, 2020 2:53 pm

My son-in-law's uncle was murdered in the early 1980s. Unfortunately my s-i-l's father will not, perhaps not surprisingly, talk about the death of his brother and my s-i-l is, again perhaps not surprisingly, curious to find out more about the incident.

There are a number of twists and turns in the family but I do have the name, date of birth and the death registration of the uncle. He appears to have been know by one name - certainly my s-i-l had one name for him - but his birth registration is in another name (although the surname is the same) and his death is registered in both names.

This is way way to modern for me and I'm stuck. I've been unable to find any press reports of the murder - I don't know if anyone was every tried for it - or any reference to the individual at all.

I am very well aware that this is not that long ago. I am the first person to counsel about the need to tread very carefully but I would like to be able to give my s-i-l some infomation about this if at all possible but without causing upset or distress to other family members.

Can anyone make any suggstions at to how to proceed?
phsvm

Re: Details of a murder

Postby AntonyM » Mon May 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Start by getting a copy of the death certificate, which will give when/where and also the cause of death (or whatever the inquest verdict was) and then look at local newspapers.

Newspapers of that era will not be easily found on-line and you may have to wait for archives to open to look for them. Usually the local county archives and some main libraries in the area will have them. Or, you can see many at The British Library.

If it got a mention in The Times, you will find their digital archive (covering up to 2014) is available on-line and can be accessed free through many local library services (using your library card details to log-in).
AntonyM

Postby pollymac » Mon May 04, 2020 6:15 pm

I investigated a murder which took place in 1965 and found a great deal of information when visiting The National Archives at Kew. However I don’t know if they would have records regarding a murder from 1980s.
pollymac

Postby junkers » Mon May 04, 2020 8:52 pm

It does depend on which country the murder took place. If it was in England or Wales then there may be a record at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew (in the J series of the various Crown Courts (except the Old Bailey - Central Criminal Court), the HO (Home Office files), the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) or the MEPO files (Metropolitan Police). BUT TNA are unlikely to release a recent file, section 38 of the Freedom of Information Act covers 'health and safety' and release of the record might endanger the mental health of relatives because it would make them relive the events again, of course section 40 (personal data) of the Act would also limit what could be released. Have you tried looking on the Internet. I would personally tread very carefully, but as has been said you could get a copy of the death certificate.
junkers

Postby Valentine » Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 am

phsvm wrote:My son-in-law's uncle was murdered in the early 1980s. Unfortunately my s-i-l's father will not, perhaps not surprisingly, talk about the death of his brother and my s-i-l is, again perhaps not surprisingly, curious to find out more about the incident.

There are a number of twists and turns in the family but I do have the name, date of birth and the death registration of the uncle. He appears to have been know by one name - certainly my s-i-l had one name for him - but his birth registration is in another name (although the surname is the same) and his death is registered in both names.

This is way way to modern for me and I'm stuck. I've been unable to find any press reports of the murder - I don't know if anyone was every tried for it - or any reference to the individual at all.

I am very well aware that this is not that long ago. I am the first person to counsel about the need to tread very carefully but I would like to be able to give my s-i-l some infomation about this if at all possible but without causing upset or distress to other family members.

Can anyone make any suggstions at to how to proceed?

If you look at Trove.com you will be able to put in dater etc and find the story covered by the papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Valentine

Postby Templ4r » Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 pm

I've found a murder in Derby by searching Google, came up with the court record and newspaper articles, that was early 1990s.

I have found a 2 page special for 1855 where my 5x grandmothers brother shot their nephew, he was hung by Calcraft outside Leicester prison before a crowd estimated at 12,000. Loads more before the actual execution.

Search John Fowkes, Snarestone murder on the newspaper archive..
Templ4r

Return to General research queries