Moderator Control Panel ]

web sites

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

web sites

Postby LiziB » Fri May 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Can anyone help me please. I would like to know the best sites for details on Southern Ireland.
I am trying to trace my late Husband's side of the family. Unfortunately I am getting nowhere with the family. One of his Aunts contacted the family in Dublin , after me writing to them asking for some dates and any documents they might have and I would pay for copies. They told her that they didn't want to get involved , this has now got me intrigued as to why.

Any information would be most appreciated.

LiziB
LiziB

Re: web sites

Postby MaureenE » Fri May 01, 2020 10:56 pm

The FIBIS Fibiwiki page Ireland lists some of the main sources available, either free or from pay websites.
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Ireland

Perhaps the family who said they didn't want to get involved were just not interested in arranging copies of documents - they may have felt it was a waste of their time.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby LiziB » Sat May 02, 2020 1:53 pm

thanks Maureen , strange the aunt I got in contact with is called Maureen .

LiziB
LiziB

Postby phsvm » Sat May 02, 2020 2:29 pm

"Not wanting to get involved" sounds more as if they didn't want to get drawn into a conversation or dialogue they didn't want to have for some reason.

If they were just not interested or don't want to bother I'd have thought the phrase "can't help" or "not interested" was more likely to be the reponse.
phsvm

Postby clarksclerks » Sat May 02, 2020 10:51 pm

Yes, I agree with you. It sounds as thought there was something members of the family were uncomfortable about. With Irish family, it might be a religious issue, some members crossing over to the 'other' faith, for instance. The time period might reveal some insights too. An academic in Melbourne, Ashley Barnwell, asked family historians what hidden family secrets they had uncovered, and found that just a few generations ago, matters like illegitimacy, cohabitation and mental illness were so shameful that families just wiped them and the people involved from their family records. I was researching a soldier from WW1 buried in a local cemetery who had died in a mental hospital in the 1970s. I managed to find a living family member who firmly believed the family 'story' that the soldier died in WW1, although the person who told him definitely knew otherwise. Good luck with your research.
clarksclerks

Return to General research queries