Moderator Control Panel ]

Proud Farmer

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Proud Farmer

Postby BHudspeth » Fri May 01, 2020 12:01 am

In an 1851 census record my 4x great grandfather listed his occupation as "farmer of 50 acres". I was wondering if it is unusual to state how much land you farmed around this period. Or was he a boaster lol as I have yet to come across another record saying anything similar.

Also he was in south Wales so land was presumably plentiful

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
BHudspeth

Re: Proud Farmer

Postby junkers » Fri May 01, 2020 1:15 am

It was usual to say how much land someone owned or leased as being an owner with a rateable value of £10 gave men the right to vote in elections when there were few people able to vote, If I am being slightly cynical then it was also give the Government information on how much tax could be levied on farmers and land owners. In 1873 a return of land owners, their acreage and how much tax was paid was published, which is useful as some owners didn't live in the vicinity and how rich/well-off they were, there was no data protection in those days. Of course this is what the Domesday Book was for, i.e. to raise taxation.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:04 am

It's a very usual form of words in my experience. In fact it usually adds the number of employees (men and boys) in my memory.

I'm really not going to look up the instructions on my phone to check but I assume that farmers were explicitly asked to supply that data???

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Fri May 01, 2020 9:07 am

I agree. I come from a long line of Farmers/ag labs and the census records regularly recorded the acreage and men and boys employed.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby BHudspeth » Fri May 01, 2020 10:44 am

Thank you all, very interesting!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
BHudspeth

Postby Will Mundy » Fri May 01, 2020 7:28 pm

Several of my ancestors who were farmers mentioned how much land they had and as others have commented on here how many employees they had. Mine were from Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire but must have been nationwide I would think. Other occupations people declared how many employees they had I had one ancestor who was a carpenter who lived in Wales briefly who mentions this on one of the censuses

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Will Mundy

Postby paulr1949 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:02 am

I also have the “employing” bit on a couple of other occupations, one butcher (employing 2 boys) and one other one

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:31 am

Not at all unusual, I agree. There are many, many farmers in my ancestry. From poor crofters renting small strips of land to rich farmers owning hundreds of acres in both Scotland and England. All I've so far found have mentioned how many acres they rented or owned. They also tend to list this on census returns.
Lucretia66

Return to General research queries