Moderator Control Panel ]

Understanding an abbreviation on a church register

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Understanding an abbreviation on a church register

Postby jo delaforce » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:42 pm

Can someone explain to.me what the meaning of annonr next to the name of Roger wooler on the attachement. Many thanks
20200430_170559.jpeg
20200430_170559.jpeg (58.26 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Sent from my SM-A520F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
jo delaforce

Re: Understanding an abbreviation on a church register

Postby MoVidger » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Don't quote me, but annor' might be Latin for "years". So this church register entry could be indicating he is deceased (at 72 years).

Find My Past has the burial record with image:

Yorkshire Burials
First name(s) Rodger
Last name Wooler
Age 72
Birth year 1509
Death year 1581
Burial date 13 Mar 1581
Burial place Kildwick
County Yorkshire (West Riding)
MoVidger

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:19 pm

From what I can gather from various websites, ‘annor’ means years, as in age. Why he should have ‘annor’ rather than ‘an’ like the rest of the entries I don’t quite understand.
Hope it helps.
Mick Loney

Postby jo delaforce » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful
Jo

Sent from my SM-A520F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
jo delaforce

Postby Artognou » Sat May 02, 2020 9:58 pm

The only reason I can think of would be that anno spoken in a broad Yorkshire accent would sound more like 'annor'.
I have encountered a similar stumbling block in my research of a branch of my family tree which was centred around the northern part of Yorkshire and due to the accent, a surname was recorded in a wedding document as having an extra letter, which led to a couple of years of furious head scratching!
Artognou

Postby Guy » Sun May 03, 2020 5:20 am

Mick Loney wrote:From what I can gather from various websites, ‘annor’ means years, as in age. Why he should have ‘annor’ rather than ‘an’ like the rest of the entries I don’t quite understand.
Hope it helps.

Parish registers were often completed by different individuals with different ideas, perhaps this entry was filled in when the vicar was sick or unable to record the entry in time for some reason and simply used the abbreviation he was accustomed to using.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Mick Loney » Sun May 03, 2020 6:44 am

Good point Guy.
That’s the trouble with reading a transcription, you can’t see difference in handwriting, so one may forget that different vicars may have made the entries, well worth remembering for the future.

Perhaps that’s why I need to see the original images of documents before I’m satisfied transcription was done correctly (doubting Thomas that I am :D )

Seen too many mis-transcriptions to believe all of them are correct all of the time!
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries