Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Irish records

Postby Templ4r » Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 am

Thanks Mayham, a lot to look into there.

We have Thomas and Jane Spiers marriage info off their daughter Sarahs BC, it states Ballyronie, Ireland. 17 mar 1839.

Joseph and Agnes Cowans marriage comes from son Josephs BC but just say 29 aug 1843, Ireland. The transcript I found yesterday says, Banbridge, 30 aug 1842.. I assume it's the same marriage but either they got the date wrong or the transcription is wrong.
Thomas and Jane were in Scotand in 1841 with daughter Mary, then in 1851 they had been back and had 2 daughters in Ireland, then Grace, Heathers ancestor back in Scotland by 1848.
Joseph was in Scotland in 1851, having a daughter there in 1844.
James Spiers married in Nov 1845 in Scotland and his father and mother were there in 1851 with a sister.

Two things seem apparent. 1) The potato famine started in 1845 and lasted until 1849, is that one reason they left?
2) In 1844 there was a riot in Ballyroney where a Catholic man was killed and 13 local men were tried for Riot. I have found a court record and a newspaper article mentioning a Thomas and Joseph Denham and a lot more men being charged with assualt in 1839. There is an Orange Lodge in Ballyrony and with James Spiers son being a Minister in Scotland and they were married in a Prebyterian church, I can assume they weren't Catholic and could have been involved in the "troubles" from an early date.
Templ4r

Postby MayHam » Sun May 03, 2020 5:10 pm

My apologies regarding Thomas and Jane's marriage. Was going by memory.

Found Joseph and Agnes' marriage on Rootsireland but no children, same with Thomas and Jane's children.

My condolences regarding the death you mentioned. On the history of the 2nd & 3rd Rathfriland Presbyterian Church page is an interesting story.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
MayHam

Postby Templ4r » Sun May 03, 2020 5:40 pm

I can't get access to that Book, I'm signed in but just keeps taking me around in circles.
Templ4r

Postby MayHam » Sun May 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Sorry, I'm confused.
The 2nd & 3rd Rathfriland Presbyterian Church's website is:
http://rathfrilandpresbyterian.com/im-n ... h-history/

Otherwise, the Ballyroney Presbyterian Church book is on familysearch's catalogue.
You may be able to order it through your local Latter-Day Saints' office.

Hope this answers your question.
MayHam

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon May 04, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks Adrian,
just received the genealogical atlas of Ireland. Ordered it after reading your post.
Very interesting.
Grace. :D
Amazinggrace

Postby Templ4r » Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am

MY apologies Mayham, I read it wrong, I thought you meant it was a chapter in that book on the LDS.

The more I read about Ulster, the more it baffles me. I can understand about Republicans and Loyalists, just not Protestant V Protestant and Catholics, the same as Sunni V Shia muslims I suppose. Reading the papers, it was a pretty violent place around the 1840's.
Templ4r

Postby MayHam » Mon May 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Oh, no worries, glad I could help, Templ4r!
I had the pleasure of visiting the Ulster Historical Museum some years ago.
They had on display a replica "Famine Ship."
The lighting in the museum was dark until you arrived in "America."
In pride of place was a list of American Presidents with Irish roots.
So, maybe God needed the Irish for other purposes.
MayHam

Previous

Return to General research queries