Moderator Control Panel ]

MacPhail MacLennan Marriage

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

MacPhail MacLennan Marriage

Postby SandraK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:17 am

23 February 1802 in Lochbroom a marriage contract was made between John MacPhail and Isobel MacLennan. John's father was Hugh MacPhail, Church Officer, and Isobel's father was Alexander MacLennan, Ground Officer, Mucklestrath. I believe Isobel/Isabelle may have later married John Morrison although I cannot find a marriage document. She died in 1859. Does anyone know what became of John MacPhail? I believe he was born about 1777.
SandraK

Re: MacPhail MacLennan Marriage

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi SandraK,
Can't see a death for John on Scotlands People.Lochbroom is in Ross and Cromarty.
There is a birth for a John 26th Nov 1786 in Fodderty,which is close to Dingwall.
Good luck
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby MoVidger » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 pm

The website link below contains interesting details regarding an Isabella McLennan of Ullapool, and her connection to a George MacPhail (fisheries officer). Not sure if they have any family connection to the MacPhail's you are searching for. It appears the website hasn't been updated since 2012.
http://youbelong.info/public/Rememberin ... f_Ullapool

The website's "Notes" section refers to a MacPhail family "memories" document but cautions: "In particular it appears to suggest the relevance of a marriage between a John Macphail and an Isabel MacLennan in 1802 (which did take place). However, our Isabella McLennan was only born in 1801".
Last edited by MoVidger on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:55 pm

What's confusing me is the 1802 marriage for John MacPhail and Isobel MacLennan; yet there are these two Lochbroom baptisms below.

Parents: Hugh MacPhail and Isobel Maclennan
Baptism: 8 Feb 1799: Donald MacPhail
Baptism: 1 Sept 1801: Katharin MacPhail

I don't see a marriage for Hugh MacPhail -- who is presumably the father of John.
It would be interesting to see if an occupation is listed in the record image for John MacPhail's 1802 marriage. If so, would it be something church-related?

Perhaps John is actually "Hugh" - that would explain why you haven't found a death record for him yet.
MoVidger

Postby SandraK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 pm

New to this so not sure how replies work. Thanks to people who offered advice. Marriage contract clearly states father of John MacPhail, occupation not stated, was Hugh MacPhail, Church Officer. I have read that the father of Katherine MacPhail born 1801 was the same Hugh. George MacPhail who married yet another Isabelle MacLennan is not related.
SandraK

Postby MoVidger » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:51 pm

Two things still have me confused:

1. As regards the two baptisms, why does Hugh MacPhail's wife have the exact same name as his son John's wife?

2. Are Donald and Katharin much younger siblings of John MacPhail? Presuming that John was born circa 1775 to 1780, that means there's a 20 year gap between Hugh's children.

The website link I provided above mentions that MacPhail "memories" document (as told by a local resident) apparently contains many inaccuracies (not my words). So I would proceed with caution if your research uses that "memoir" as fact.

Have you located John's wife Isobel in the 1841 or 1851 census? Also, what was John's occupation?
MoVidger

Postby SandraK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:53 am

My information not based on "memoirs" document which does contain inaccuracies. (For example a John MacPhail, born 1820, was supposed to be the son of the John MaPhail and Isabella MacLennan who married in 1802, but in fact he is the illegitimate son of a George MacPhail -no relation - and yet another Isabella MacLennan who was born 1801.) 1841 Census had Isabella with John Morrison, occupation Crofter. Living with them are two daughters.
1851 Census Isabella, birthplace Glacgour, and John, birthplace Lochbroom, both 70 yrs old, his occupation Crofter. With them one daughter. John Morrison died sometime between 1851 and 1859.
I can find no documents on John MacPhail.
My assumption is that he died and Isabella married John Morrison. I know many records from Lochbroom area were destroyed but I hoped someone from MacPhail family might know more.
SandraK

Return to General research queries