Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage shows 3 names

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage shows 3 names

Postby ColinW » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:37 pm

Charles Frederick Brooking Bowhay
Born: 2 Dec 1867 Blackawton Devon (I have his birth certificate)

I presumed that ‘Charles Frederick Brooking Bowhay’ married ‘Mary Ann Evans’ in 1889 because on the birth certificate of their son ‘Charles Henry Evans Bowhay’ is shows those two names as parents.

But having searched ‘Charles Frederick Brooking Bowhay’ on http://www.familysearch.org it shows the following…...

Name: Charles Frederick Bowhay
Event Type: Marriage
Event Place: Totnes Devon
Year: 1908
Possible Spouse: Florence Caroline Baker
Possible Spouse: Sarah Jane Efford
Possible Spouse: George Wreford

Is this the same person as it does not show ‘Brooking’ as one of his middle names.
ColinW

Re: Marriage shows 3 names

Postby MoVidger » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:43 pm

FMP have the Devon records collection with images. The Marriage record is 1907, but oddly enough there is a Banns record dated 17 May 1908. Charles is listed as "Bachelor" on both images.

It must be two different chaps because the father's name on the 1888 marriage record is John Elliott Bowhay (farm labourer).

First name(s) Charles Frederick
Last name Bowhay
Age 29
Birth year 1878
Profession: Labourer
Marriage date 07 Jun 1907
Place Moreleigh
Residence Blackawton
Father's first name Silvanus Brooking
Father's last name Bowhay
Spouse's first name(s) Florence Caroline
Spouse's last name Baker
Spouse age 20
Spouse's residence Moreleigh
Spouse's father's first name(s) John Henry
Spouse's father's last name Baker

Witnesses: William George Bowhay, John Henry Barker.
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:00 pm

There are limits on the how many names are shown on certificates and their indexes for English and Welsh certificates. The number of names shown has varied over the years but what I can't do is give you the details. No doubt if I knew the right phrase to Google, it would help... I can't even guarantee that the number of names shown on the index matches what's on the certificate.

The fact that the omitted name appears to be the 3rd given name would suggest that at that time, only 2 names were being shown - the first 2, naturally.

There is a vague possibility that he couldn't be bothered giving all 3 given names when marrying (no birth certificates are normally required) but this is less likely if all 3 appear on the son's BC.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:15 pm

"Adrian's Law of Hitting The Send Button"* applies...

FreeBMD has comments on what is shown on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/givenname-initials.html. For 1867-1910, it says:
For this period most given names are shown in full although there are a small number also with initials

This would appear to increase the likelihood of 1908's CF Bowhay being different from CF Brooking Bowhay - who does appear in the BC index for 1867 without the "Brooking", even though FreeBMD suggests "most given names are shown in full". However, note that things are less than absolute with words like "most".

* - "Adrian's Law of Hitting The Send Button" - you think of the right place to look immediately after hitting the send button.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:25 pm

MoVidger wrote:FMP have the Devon records collection with images. The Marriage record is 1907, but oddly enough there is a Banns record dated 17 May 1908. ...

The written date on the certificate is June 7, 1907 - but the year written immediately above reads 1908!

The banns appear to be for Blackawton St Michael while the marriage is at Moreleigh - presumably two sets of banns were read and recorded but we are only seeing one set.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ColinW » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Thank you all for your help and the info.
ColinW

Return to General research queries