Moderator Control Panel ]

Adams Family of Manchester and Ireland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Adams Family of Manchester and Ireland

Postby joannelovesbooks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 am

I am hoping someone might be able to help me find some missing ancestors.

Margaret Adams was born at sea in 1818 to William Adams and Jane. I have her baptism certificate. William was in the 28th regiment, having attested as a drummer boy in 1802 in Plymouth at the age of just eight, so he was born 1794-1795. I have his service record.

In 1841, Margaret and two younger sisters Jane (b Italy) and Ellen (b Ireland) are living with the family of James and Alice Prescott. Alice's maiden name was Taylor so I can't see a family connection to the Adams girls. There is also a John Henry (aged 70) in the household.

Following this, Margaret goes on to marry William Adams and I can track her through the censuses to her death in 1882. Jane seems to marry John Bayley in 1845 but I lose sight of this couple after 1851. Ellen may marry Robert Smith in 1853 but I'm not sure because her father is listed as a mackintosh maker. Margaret's church marriage certificate states that her parents live in Ireland.

I want to find out what happens to William and Jane, as well as Jane's surname and when and where they were born but I can't find any other records of them or their daughters which might help me to do this. Can anyone please help with this quandary?

Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Re: Adams Family of Manchester and Ireland

Postby MoVidger » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Are there any other details on Margaret's 1818 baptism record besides parent's names?

You mention Jane Adams was born in Italy. Do you have her baptism record which confirms this; or does Jane state Italy is her birthplace on post-1841 census records?

You say "Jane seems to marry John Bayley in 1845" - have you found their marriage record online? I can see both names (among others) in the 1845 marriage index, but I haven't found the actual marriage record on either Ancestry or FMP.

In William Adam's service record, his place of birth is simply "born in the Army". As such, it might be a struggle to go back further with him.

You also mention Margaret's church marriage certificate states that her parents live in Ireland. I'm curious as to the other details on the certificate. Who were the witnesses? Was it a Catholic ceremony? Is it possible for you to upload the image? (I think her husband was William Yates, not Adams). ;)

If William and Jane were still alive in the 1840s, why would their daughters be residing with the Prescott family in Manchester (1841 census)?
Last edited by MoVidger on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:58 pm

Below is the 1814 marriage for William and Jane Connel. :D Record and image on FMP and Ancestry.

The record image indicates two witness names for the marriage, one of which is Hugh Swift. (He is also the marriage directly above Adams and Connel). There is a Cpl Hugh Swift who served with the 28th regiment from 1807 to 1826. His service record is on FMP, as well.

So Hugh Swift confirms this is the correct marriage for fellow soldier William Adams.
Moreover, the 28th regiment was stationed at Cork and Limerick in 1814-1815. So it all fits.

Ireland Roman Catholic Parish Marriages
First name(s) William
Last name Adams
Address -
Marriage date 06 Oct 1814
Parish St. Mary's, Cork City
Diocese Cork and Ross
Spouse's first name(s) Jane
Spouse's last name Connel
Spouse's address -
County Cork
Last edited by MoVidger on Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 am

On Find My Past:

Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
First name(s) Wm
Last name Adams
Year 1815
Rank Drummer
Regiment 28th Regiment Of Foot
Sub unit Captain Thomas English's Company
Medal type Waterloo Medal, 1815
Record set Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards

On Ancestry with images:

UK, British Army Muster Books and Pay Lists, 1812-1817
Name: William Adams
Start of Muster: 25 May 1815
End of Muster: 24 Jun 1815
Regiment or Unit: 28th Regiment of Foot, 1st Battalion
Piece Number: 4430

Name: William Adams
Start of Muster: 25 Sep 1815
End of Muster: 24 Dec 1815
Stationed or Muster Place: Haslar Barracks (Hampshire)
Regiment or Unit: 28th Regiment of Foot, 1st Battalion
Piece Number: 4430

UK, Royal Hospital, Chelsea: Regimental Registers of Pensioners, 1713-1882
Name: Wm Adams
Regiment: 28th Regiment of Foot
Residence Date: 10 Sep 1834
Document Type: Regimental Registers of Pensioners
Last edited by MoVidger on Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:54 am

Fold3 has this record, but you'll need a subscription to view it. Not sure if this record is your chap. His service record indicated "good conduct" - so can't imagine a court martial. Not sure where Galivery is either. Is it a typo or mis-transcribed?

UK, Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930
Name: Wm Adams
Court or Trial Date: 4 Mar 1831
Court or Trial Place: Galivery
Regiment: 28th
Reference Number: WO 86/1
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:04 am

Baptism record with image on FMP for first child of Wiiliam and Jane. Profession of father: Soldier, 28th Regt (as per image). He was stationed in Hampshire in late 1815 (see record above).

Hampshire, Portsmouth Baptisms
First name(s) Catharine
Last name Adams
Baptism date 31 Dec 1815
Baptism place Wymering
Dedication Ss Peter & Paul
Denomination Anglican
Residence Hilsea Bks
Father's first name(s) William
Mother's first name(s) Jane
MoVidger

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help. This new information is remarkable. I said Jane was born Italy (as per the 1851 census) but I have now also found an 1871 return for her which says she was born in Corfu. This is where Margaret said she was born, although the baptism says she was born 'at sea' and was baptised on Corfu two weeks later. I have not yet been able to find Jane's baptism, even though she falls within the years which are supposedly covered by the military births at sea indexes.

I only have the index to Jane's marriage to John but it does confirm her father's name as William.

I don't have an actual copy of Margaret and William's church marriage (at St Augustine's in Manchester), just their regular marriage certificate but years ago I wrote to Lancs Archives and they replied telling me that her parents were William and Jane Adams of Ireland. The witnesses were Jane Adams and Robert (Daniels) - his surname is quite tricky to make out apparently. You are right - her husband was William Yates, not Adams! I am completely stumped as to why the three sisters were living in Manchester while their parents were in Ireland, however, I will do some investigation into John Henry in case he sheds any light.

I had seen the marriage to Jane Connel and marked it as a possibility but the information about the witness is fantastic - thank you so much for spotting that!

Thank you also for the extra information about Willliam's muster rolls. I have the service record and had seen him on the medal rolls but now I have extra references to look into as well. I don't have a subscription to Fold3 unfortunately but I will try to find out where Galivery is.

Also very interesting news about another older daughter to look into. Thank you again very much for all the help!

Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 am

I have just taken out a one-month subscription to Fold3 so that I could see these records and I'm afraid it was my William who was given the court martial because he is listed as a drummer in the 28th regiment. His crime was stealing and he was sentenced to 6 months of something but I can't read what the thing was. Is it OK for me to screen shot the little bit of the entry I can't read to ask for help or would that be breaking copyright?

Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:06 am

MoVidger wrote:Not sure where Galivery is either. Is it a typo or mis-transcribed?

On the original record it looks to me like Galway.
joannelovesbooks

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:10 am

Hi Joanne - where is Jane living in 1861 and 1871? I haven't found her in the census yet.

If you're not able to upload the Fold3 image, would you mind emailing it to me? I'll PM you.
Sorry for the onslaught of info last night - I had insomnia! ;)
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries