Moderator Control Panel ]

Adams Family of Manchester and Ireland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Adams Family of Manchester and Ireland

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:16 am

MoVidger wrote:Hi Joanne - where is Jane living in 1851 and 1861? I haven't found her in the census yet.

If you're not able to upload the Fold3 image, would you mind emailing it to me? I'll PM you.
Sorry for the onslaught of info last night - I had insomnia! ;)

In 1851 Jane is in Croft Street, Manchester (Bayley). I can't yet find her in 1861 but in 1871 she is in Lomax Street, Manchester (Bailey).

Yes, I will email the record to you if you send me your address.

Please don't apologise - I am so grateful for the help!

Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:22 am

MoVidger wrote:Below is the 1814 marriage for William and Jane Connel. :D Record and image on FMP and Ancestry.

The record image indicates two witness names for the marriage, one of which is Hugh Swift. (He is also the marriage directly above Adams and Connel). There is a Cpl Hugh Swift who served with the 28th regiment from 1807 to 1826. His service record is on FMP, as well.

So Hugh Swift confirms this is the correct marriage for fellow soldier William Adams.
Moreover, the 28th regiment was stationed at Cork and Limerick in 1814-1815. So it all fits.

Ireland Roman Catholic Parish Marriages
First name(s) William
Last name Adams
Address -
Marriage date 06 Oct 1814
Parish St. Mary's, Cork City
Diocese Cork and Ross
Spouse's first name(s) Jane
Spouse's last name Connel
Spouse's address -
County Cork

There is a baptism of Jane Connell in Cork City in 1800. I wonder how likely it is that she married when she was only 14 years old!
joannelovesbooks

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:25 am

Yesterday I found some possible info for John Henry, but deleted it. From memory, there is a JH (born 1766 in Belfast) in the Chorlton Union Workhouse (1851 census). Could be the same chap. There's also an 1852 death in Chorlton for a JH (age 85). It's mentioned in the Lancs Online Parish website.

There's a service record on FMP for a JH from Antrim. He served with two regiments, one of which was the Dragoons. He's a good candidate for the above. But is he connected the Adams family? :?

I saw that 1800 Jane Connel baptism, as well. Hmm... :shock:
MoVidger

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:05 pm

I think I have just found more members of this family. In 1851 in Salford, there is some sort of army accommodation which houses many members of the 28th regiment. Included in the household are:
Charles Adams, 15, a private, b Oxford
Edward Adams, 27, a private, b Corfu 'a British subject'
Margaret Adams (Edward's wife), 26, b Liverpool
Margaret Adams (Edward and Margaret's daughter), 1, b Cork

I already had my Margaret Adams (married name Yates) (b1818) in 1861 with a lodger called Charles Adams, (although it is written as Admans) in St Helens where he is a 25-year-old music teacher. Since Margaret's father was a drummer, I wonder if this was something which ran through the family and in retirement Charles turned his hand to teaching.

If only Charles had been born a couple of years later he would have made it into civil registration and I could have ordered a complete birth certificate :x
joannelovesbooks

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:31 pm

That 1851 census reflects the Barracks. I'm not convinced Charles is related, due to age and birthplace. But Edward may require further investigating, due to his birthplace (Corfu).

FMP has Charles' service record; and just the Army Worldwide Index record for Edward (service number 2529).
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:38 pm

In case this helps with Jane's birth or others, here's an 1822 timeline for the 28th regiment:

March–June 1822: Of the five companies of the 28th which had been in Fort Raymond Barracks Corfu, two were moved into the Citadel and three to Fort Neuf, with one company remaining at Vido Island. The rest of the regiment was at Santa Maura.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Unfortunately Edward Adams died in the Crimean War. There are several Campaign Medals and Awards Rolls records for him on Ancestry.
MoVidger

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:26 pm

MoVidger wrote:That 1851 census reflects the Barracks. I'm not convinced Charles is related, due to age and birthplace. But Edward may require further investigating, due to his birthplace (Corfu).

FMP has Charles' service record; and just the Army Worldwide Index record for Edward (service number 2529).

I think Charles probably is related because he is in the same household as Edward in 1851 and Margaret in 1861 but I agree his age is an anomaly so maybe he is a nephew or a cousin. I had to leave it for a while to go for my daily exercise but I will look at the service records now.
joannelovesbooks

Previous

Return to General research queries