Moderator Control Panel ]

PDF Certs from General Register Office

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

PDF Certs from General Register Office

Postby batty » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:15 am

Has anyone received their order from the GRO recently. I placed an order on 19 March for two copies of birth certs as PDFs. I know there is a notice that things are delayed but would like to know roughly how long the extra wait is likely to be. There is no communication with the GRO and my order just says processing.
Batty
batty

Re: PDF Certs from General Register Office

Postby SDV » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 am

See the articles in today's papers about the GRO ordering staff to return to work next week, despite an outcry from the workers themselves about the safety of this course of action. Not helped by a high-handed Government advisor saying that 80% of us are going to get the virus, so we should simply get on with it. I paraphrase, but that's the gist of the message.
SDV

Postby batty » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Thought I would read my paper before replying to your message. Couldn’t see anything about GRO people having to go back to work. Does that mean that there has been no one doing the orders already placed and paid for? That’s not how I read the message on the website.
batty

Postby Guy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Not sure about the GRO but certainly Passport Office staff have been told to return to work, apparently their offices are going to be staffed by 500 at a time to allow social distancing.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby junkers » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Guy is right, it is the Passport Office staff some of whom have been asked to return. The GRO is part of the Passport Office but given the Coronavirus crisis pdfs are going to be low on the list of essential services whereas they are trying to stop a backlog of passport applications and renewals. According to the GRO website (https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... /login.asp) there will be delays, possibly, I would say, for several months.
junkers

Postby batty » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks for info. Will just have to be patient
batty

Postby helen.norton » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:48 am

I placed an order for a PDF death cert on 18th Mar and it was sent on the 24th, so within the usual time frame. That's only the day before you ordered yours so I must have just been lucky to get mine on time
helen.norton

Postby SarahU » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 am

I don’t understand why we can’t download them in pdf, as l can with Scotlands People, no staff required at the delivery end only scanners at the front end.
SarahU

Postby Guy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:33 am

SarahU wrote:I don’t understand why we can’t download them in pdf, as l can with Scotlands People, no staff required at the delivery end only scanners at the front end.

The simple answer is because the GRO are wanting to control everything.
The longer answer is because the GRO do not have the expertise to develop a system that would accept the order process it and deliver the file automatically and reliably but still rely on a highly manual system to select and upload the relevant file to the delivery database.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby phsvm » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Another department I know but I applied for WW2 military records back in January and my cheque has still not been cashed.

I am aware that the deparment is now shut completely but I sent the application when they were still up and running.
phsvm

Return to General research queries