Moderator Control Panel ]

Norwegian DNA

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Norwegian DNA

Postby Artognou » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Hi everyone, very recently I have discovered (on ancestry and when I uploaded my results to my heritage) that I have Norwegian ancestry, it differs from 12-19% and I don't believe that there's a single person in the family, close or distant, who would have any idea about it whatsoever.
Having spoken to my father, we have a suspicion that we have agreed which part of the family this could potentially be from (we both automatically thought that it could be from part of the family who originally lived in Banffshire), and there are quite a few distant cousins matching with me on my heritage from the mainland Scandinavian countries.
However, as you can imagine, I'm also kind of stumped as to where to start on this, if it's at all possible!
Does anyone have any advice at all on how I could research this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.
Artognou

Re: Norwegian DNA

Postby junkers » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:29 pm

My suggestion is that you try working backwards as afar as you can, assuming you haven't already, through birth, marriage and death records and Censuses on Scotland's People. Although Banffshire has fishing connections the main connections from Scotland for Norwegian/Viking come from Orkney and Shetland which were until the 14th Century Norwegian and then became Scottish. There have been links between Scotland and Norway, e.g. on whaling fishing, but unless they settled in Scotland it might be difficult to research and how far back you would need to go.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:36 am

Do not treat ethnicity numbers from DNA as anything other than an amusing diversion. They are not reliable enough to disrupt your research. If you have solidly visible routes to distant ancestors in one part of the country, it would make no sense to drop a decent line of research in favour of tackling a vague and flakey set of ancestors just because your gut feeling says that they might be the source of this Norwegian DNA.

As Junkers says, your only way is to tackle the paper evidence. It's the only practical thing to do.

The suggestion that you might be seeing evidence of a connection to the Orkneys and Shetlands seems sensible. Ancestry would only be able to suggest that area for ethnicity if enough people from those isles test, and I've no idea if they have. As an example, I've previously mentioned my reputed French ancestry (via North Devon Hugenouts, I'd guess) but no evidence of it appears in my Ancestry DNA. This might mean that the story is just a story and my Berry line is thoroughly English, or it might mean that Ancestry cannot yet recognize French DNA because of the prohibitions they have there against DNA testing.

And, like my Swedish DNA that became German DNA when Ancestry revamped their testing analyses, your Norwegian might not stick around!

Follow the paper - it's the only solid route.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby tizzy4 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:13 am

Adrian's advice is the way to go. paper and verification all the way for ancestors..
tizzy4

Postby Artognou » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Thank you all for your invaluable advice.
I feel rather sheepish now, because I flat out vowed that I wouldn't allow myself to be caught up in the general hysteria involved with DNA testing, such as allowing one's self to veer off the path of the paper trail in search of a slightly unreliable distraction.
Slow and steady shall win the race... eventually!
Artognou

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:39 pm

Oh if you want a real distraction, then try loading your DNA results into GEDMatch - there are analyses in there that provide several ways of working out your ancestry from Hunter-Gatherers, Early-Farmers, etc - these are all ancient peoples who entered into what is now Europe. If I understand it, these analyses come from the people who really are digging up ancient DNA. Most intriguing is that I have a small percentage of Indian (as in South Asian) DNA. Not sure if there's a generic explanation for that...

(Serious comment - just read about the settings in GEDMatch for access by law enforcement agencies and be an informed customer)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Lucretia66 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:49 am

Adrian, as Romany gypsies originally came from India, that might be where it comes from. I don't think a lot of people have any idea about this or know that they have any Romany blood in them at all. Of course, it may be something else. Who knows? Do you know if any of your ancestors lived in India, perhaps in the military or something to do with trading? They may have married local women.
I would look into it.
Lucretia66

Postby Artognou » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:33 am

Adrian, many thanks for the link, that is something that will keep me extremely occupied, especially during the current goings-on!
I'll make sure that I have a good look at the settings as well.
I have had a few issues with my connection, and reading it now just about makes sure that it coincides with payday!
Artognou

Postby ClareRosalind » Mon May 04, 2020 9:41 am

I understand the most usual reason for some Norwegian ancestry, especially as you have ancestors in Banff, is Viking ancestors. I was not surprised to be told, on taking a DNA test, I had anything from 0-20% Scandinavian ancestry as many of my ancestors come from Lowland SE Scotland, where the Vikings were for a long time and intermarried (or just helped themselves). Later my Scandinavian ancestry has been reduced to 3% Norwegian.
It's such a long time ago I doubt any firm connection can be made.
ClareRosalind

Postby cwf » Mon May 04, 2020 1:58 pm

If you find a Norwegian name, you can try this: My mother was Norwegian but made nothing of it, I barely knew her divorced parents. I found Geni was popular with Scandinavians and put what little I knew on their free tree and have watched as this little has grown into a full tree. I've encountered and met my mother's first cousin and my unknown half-brother. It might work for you.
cwf

Return to General research queries