Moderator Control Panel ]

Australia records - help please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Australia records - help please

Postby Beverley Stephens » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:01 pm

James Cronin was born on 12 May 1896 in Bristol, UK. Family folklore say he “jumped ship” and went to live in Australia, I recall him sending Christmas cards from, possibly, Melbourne in the 1970s.

This is all that I know of James, who to my father was known as Uncle Jim:

He joined the Worcester Regiment in Dec 1912 but was discharged medically unfit in Mar 1913.

There is a Warrant dated Feb 1914 for the arrest of James Cronin, at the Bristol Archive, because he was engaged to serve on board the SS Royal George for a return trip to St Johns from Bristol but neglected, without reasonable cause to join the ship. That confirms the folklore.

Ancestry has a death of a James Cronin age 85 in Victoria in 1982, that makes the birth date c1897, I’m wondering if this is my guy.

I know nothing of Australian genealogy records, what are the best sites to search? Can you buy certificates from a GRO equivalent? Any guidance will be gratefully received. Thanks.
Beverley Stephens

Re: Australia records - help please

Postby MoVidger » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Were his parents David and Bridget Cronin (nee Meadon)? If so, James' Non-Conformist baptism record on Ancestry has a different birth date for him, as well as a middle name. Just in case it helps with any Australian records you're able to obtain.

Bristol, England, Non-Conformist Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers, 1644-1981
Name: Jacobus Patricius Cronin
Baptism Age: 0
Birth Date: 19 Mar 1896
Baptism Date: 3 Jun 1896
Baptism Place: Bristol, England (St Mary's on the Quayl, Clifton, Gloucester, England)
Father: David Cronin
Mother: Birgittæ Meadon
MoVidger

Postby avaline » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:05 pm

You can search & buy at www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family- ... ly-history

From the index though, it doesn't seem that much was known about him, as all details (Mother/father/Spouse) are shown as not known.

He was buried at Emerald Cemetery, Section B, Grave 273 on 26 May 1982, but again, there are no further details. Search from here: http://www.gmct.com.au/deceased
avaline

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 am

The only James Cronin registered in Bristol between 1894 & 1898, was James Cronin. He birth was registered 1896 Q3 Bristol 6A 7, mothers maiden name shown as O’BRIEN.

His parents could be David Cronin & Bridget O’Brien who married 1883 Q2 Barton Regis 6A 279.
May be same couple as Movidger found, but can’t explain Bridgets change of surname, and there are no James Cronin registered with mothers maiden name of Meadon.

There is also a David Cronin (1884), Thomas Cronin (1886), Mary Ellen Cronin (1888), Catherine Cronin (1893) and a William Patrick Cronin(1899) all with same mothers maiden name of O’Brien. Hopefully these may ring a bell. (They were all registered in Barton Regis or Bristol)

Edit: Findmypast has a Royal Navy Seamans card for a James Cronin, born (31 March 1897?) Bristol, which lists all his postings. The last entry is on ship ‘Goliath’ 17 Dec 07 - 12 Jan 08, and alongside reads ‘Run Portsmouth. Could this mean Run off, which matches your family’s rumour?

His army attestation papers when he joined Worcester Regiment in 1912, shows his father David lived in Bristol with older brother Thomas and younger brother William.
Sadly, nothing on FMP about Australia
Mick Loney

Postby Cachalot6972 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:14 am

" Findmypast has a Royal Navy Seamans card for a James Cronin, born (31 March 1897?) Bristol, which lists all his postings. The last entry is on ship ‘Goliath’ 17 Dec 07 - 12 Jan 08, and alongside reads ‘Run Portsmouth. Could this mean Run off, which matches your family’s rumour? "

Answer; yes, it does. (I'm ex-Royal Navy, I know these things!) :D
Phil

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchye and taste lyke chicken!
Cachalot6972

Location: Slowly being unlocked in Brittany, in the land of cheap wine and cheese...

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:19 am

Cachalot6972 wrote:" Findmypast has a Royal Navy Seamans card for a James Cronin, born (31 March 1897?) Bristol, which lists all his postings. The last entry is on ship ‘Goliath’ 17 Dec 07 - 12 Jan 08, and alongside reads ‘Run Portsmouth. Could this mean Run off, which matches your family’s rumour? " :D

Phil, a better way of quoting someone’s post, is to hit the ‘Quote’ button above the post, ( as I have just done). It really makes the quote stand out, and is far easier than typing it out again, or cutting and pasting :D
Mick Loney

Postby Cachalot6972 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:37 am

Mick Loney wrote:Phil, a better way of quoting someone’s post, is to hit the ‘Quote’ button above the post, ( as I have just done). It really makes the quote stand out, and is far easier than typing it out again, or cutting and pasting :D

Ah okay, thanks. I'll try and remember, but I've reached the Homer Simpson stage where every time I learn something new, something old falls out. 8-)
Phil

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchye and taste lyke chicken!
Cachalot6972

Location: Slowly being unlocked in Brittany, in the land of cheap wine and cheese...

Postby Beverley Stephens » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Mick Loney wrote:The only James Cronin registered in Bristol between 1894 & 1898, was James Cronin. He birth was registered 1896 Q3 Bristol 6A 7, mothers maiden name shown as O’BRIEN.

His parents could be David Cronin & Bridget O’Brien who married 1883 Q2 Barton Regis 6A 279.
May be same couple as Movidger found, but can’t explain Bridgets change of surname, and there are no James Cronin registered with mothers maiden name of Meadon.

There is also a David Cronin (1884), Thomas Cronin (1886), Mary Ellen Cronin (1888), Catherine Cronin (1893) and a William Patrick Cronin(1899) all with same mothers maiden name of O’Brien. Hopefully these may ring a bell. (They were all registered in Barton Regis or Bristol)

Edit: Findmypast has a Royal Navy Seamans card for a James Cronin, born (31 March 1897?) Bristol, which lists all his postings. The last entry is on ship ‘Goliath’ 17 Dec 07 - 12 Jan 08, and alongside reads ‘Run Portsmouth. Could this mean Run off, which matches your family’s rumour?

His army attestation papers when he joined Worcester Regiment in 1912, shows his father David lived in Bristol with older brother Thomas and younger brother William.
Sadly, nothing on FMP about Australia

Thank you. I can't find the Royal Navy record on FMP. What search criteria do you use please? Not sure this is my guy as he would only be 11 yrs old!
Beverley Stephens

Postby Cachalot6972 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Try Fmp > Military, armed forces & conflict > Regimental & Service Records > James Cronin b.1887 Bristol.
Phil

Cachalot6972

Postby Beverley Stephens » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Cachalot6972 wrote:Try Fmp > Military, armed forces & conflict > Regimental & Service Records > James Cronin b.1887 Bristol.

Got it, thank you Phil
Beverley Stephens

Return to General research queries