Moderator Control Panel ]

Hannah CONNELLY

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Hannah CONNELLY

Postby SDV » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:06 am

I agree, except I have checked using the address facility on FMP and neither Aunt Anna or Anna appear to be living in Whittington Place or Redcap Cottages (where James died). There is a Anna Maria HALL (poor transcription?) working as a servant and born in Hemel Hempstead. There is also a married woman named Ann Walton, living in Islington and born in Herts. But neither really fit the bill.

Nor can I find an appropriate birth or death for Aunt Anna.

Very frustrating, given the progress that has been made.
SDV

Postby SDV » Fri May 08, 2020 1:37 pm

I am afraid that I have made no progress on this, partly as I am still awaiting certificates from the GRO, which have presumably been delayed by the coronavirus pandemic.

With regard to Hannah/Anna Connelly:

(1) are there any records for St Margaret's Industrial School for Catholic Girls?

(2) what happened to her after she left the above institution which would have been c1875/6.

(3) where was she in 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911 and 1939?

(4) when and where did she die?

With regard to her aunt Anna Walters

(1) where was she before 1881? (Not apparent on 1841, 1851, 1861 or 1871 censuses.)

(2) where is her birth? (Later censuses suggest 1943 @ St Albans)

(3) when and where did she die? (I can't find her in 1939).

Some of these questions should be answerable, but they are defeating me!
SDV

Postby MoVidger » Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 pm

As regards Hannah/Anna, she could have passed away or emigrated after she was released from that Industrial School for Catholic Girls. Do you know her DoB - to check for her in the 1939 Register? Although she would've been 80 by then, and possibly not alive.

As she was probably living with her "aunt" in 1872, keep checking for them in the 1871 census. The "aunt" may be using an alias. She obviously has a strong connection to Whittington Place for the years 1866 (as JC death cert informant) and 1881 census. So I'd focus on that address area in 1871.

Not that it means anything, but there was the Smallpox Hospital at Whittington Place in Upper Holloway at the time. Perhaps the "aunt" was affiliated with the hospital in some way?

Also, keep trying to find the previous newspaper report on Hannah/Anna, which is referred to in the 1872 article on her. It may yield important clues.

Lastly, you mention the "aunt" also went by the surname "Walton". What record(s) would that be?
MoVidger

Postby SDV » Sat May 09, 2020 11:35 am

Mo

In the Islington Gazette (29 oct 1872) Anna's aunt is recorded as Anna WALTON. But in the Hampstead & Highgate Express (02 Nov 1872), she is referred to as Anna Walters. Moreover, on at least one census return, she is WALTER. This confusion over her surname doesn't't help.

I am hoping that when I receive some of the outstanding certificates from the GRO, there will be some helpful clues to help with my research into this family.

Meanwhile, the loss of this forum is a real blow.
SDV

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 09, 2020 1:33 pm

What is the address for "A. Walters" (informant) on James Connelly's 1866 death cert? Normally the informant's address is recorded, too. :)

I just want to quickly add that I spent ages looking for my granny's aunt in post-1871 census records. She was born 1856 in London, and appears in the 1861 and 1871 reports. I looked for her as "single" and "married" and also outside of London. No joy. Then one day someone in Australia contacted me via Ancestry, asking if I might be related to their great-grandmother! Turns out our relative (age 21) emigrated, on her own, from London to Oz in 1878. If I had thought to check Passenger records I would've found her. :roll: Ancestors didn't always "comply" with established life patterns. ;)
MoVidger

Postby SDV » Sat May 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Anna Walters' address was 19 Whittington Place, Holloway.

So she was in the same area in 1866 and 1881, just slightly different addresses 19 and 16. Do you know if Upper Whittington Place was different to Whittington Place?

The other frustrating thing about the Aunt is her relationship to the family.

Anna's father's name was CONNELLY (var sp). Since the Aunt claims to be single in !881, 1891, 1901 and 1911, I don't really see our she can be related to him. The only possibility - assuming she is telling the truth about her marital status - is that they are half-siblings, same mother, different father. Though this seems unlikely as James was apparently born in Ireland c1821 and her in St Albans c1843.

Anna's mother's name was either BOYD or BOYDE, so again a connection isn't obvious. Her mother was born in Gibraltar to a member of the armed forces in 1827. Even though this is before 1837 there would appear to be a birth certificate, which I have applied for and which may open up new lines.

Finally, I'm puzzled by the lack of a death for the Aunt. Whilst Anna might well have emigrated - I am aware that church run institutions rather encouraged this - I think at 68 in 1911, the Aunt is unlikely to have done so. I would have thought she died sometime between 1911 and 1931, possibly 1941 at the outside.
SDV

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 09, 2020 3:53 pm

With the 1866 death cert, does it give an occupation for "A. Walters"? Is it still "dressmaker"? Also, what was James' address when he died?

Looking back at the 1872 newspaper reports, I had forgotten that Hannah's DoB is stated as "13 March". That girl was very troubled - I wonder what caused her disposition?

Sorry, I don't know north London at all. So I can't confirm if Upper Whittington Place is/was the same as Whittington Place.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 09, 2020 4:21 pm

In the 1871 census, there is a Charlotte Crouch (servant, born 1854 Hertfordshire) at 5 Whittington Place, Islington. Is she related to the Crouch family members living with John & Mary Ann King in the 1891 census (Tottenham)?? As she's from Herts, is she related to Anna Walters?
MoVidger

Postby SDV » Sat May 09, 2020 5:59 pm

James died at 4 Redcap Cottages, Islington on 04 Nov 1866 aged 46 of phthisis, which he had endured for 3 years. He was a domestic coachman. His youngest daughter Jane Frances had been born at 4 redcap Cottages two years earlier, on 04 Jul 1864.

The informant was A Walters of 19 Whittington Place, Holloway, who had been present at the death. No occupation mentioned.

With regard to the Crouch connection. Mary Ann Connelly - the sibling of Hannah/Anna and Jane Frances - married George CROUCH, a labourer, in Tottenham on 10 Dec 1881. The witnesses were her mother Mary Ann King and Ellen Crouch. Mary Ann Crouch (née Connelly) was born near Maidstone in Kent.

James and Mary Ann had 7 children that I am aware of: Thomas (b 1849 in Kent), Catherine (b 1850 in Bristol), James (b 1852 in York), Samuel (b 1854 in Leeds), Hannah (b 1859 in Cambridge), Mary Ann (b 1861 in Kent) and Jane Frances (b 1864 in Islington). The family are described in early censuses (eg RG9 1800 6935) as travellers. And early on James is described as a hawker.

Mary Ann had one more child with John King after the death of James, a son named George (1870-71) who died very young.

So the connection of Anna Walters to the family remain a mystery.

PS as an afterthought perhaps Anna was acting as a nurse for James, he had after all been ill for a number of years. Is it surprising that Anna and not his wife was the informant? The death was reported fairly promptly on 06 Nov 1866, so just two days later.

I have also just realised that I have no idea where he was buried. Where would they have buried a Catholic who died in Islington in 1866? Does anyone have any ideas?
SDV

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm

That's what I find odd, too. Anna Walters being the informant in 1866. You'd think it would've been his wife Mary Ann. Have you noticed there's no c1843 birth/baptism for an Anna Mary Walters in Herts? She's definitely a mystery lady prior to 1872.

FYI: St Joseph's Catholic Schools (where Hannah/Anna briefly attended in 1872) was located at Upper Whittington Place, Highgate Hill. So again, the Whittington Place connection.
MoVidger

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries