Moderator Control Panel ]

Lunsford Research

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Lunsford Research

Postby TexasSearcher » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:08 am

I am Bill Lunsford and I have been doing genetic genealogy for six years. In that time there is one thing I haven't been able to locate. I am in search of a male Lunsford in the U.K.

So many trees I have looked at over the years seem to lead to the same progenitor as "the" source of our United States lines. Sir Thomas Lunsford (most favored) was certainly among the first settlers in The Colonies but he was not the only one to cross the pond. My own line is hopelessly misrepresented across multiple platforms due to mistaken research. Y-DNA reveals the simple truth with no bias.

Our research group has relied on Y-DNA testing as the baseline for our research. So many Lunsford lines are either broken or scattered. We have had a lot of successes, but also some surprises that Y-DNA testing revealed.

We know our line is first found in England during the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Lunsford's settled mostly in E. Sussex. There was a presence in Kent and also London. Although there are a few of the original homes still in existence, none are now owned by Lunsford's.

If you have the Lunsford surname, or a derivation of it, please take a Big-Y 700 test. I am especially looking for Lunsford testers to help bridge the gap between the U.S. and U.K.

Some derivations are Lunceford, Luntsford, Lundsford, Lungford among others. The accepted spelling when they first came to England is believed to have been de Lundresford.

I look forward to connecting with other Lunsford researchers, regardless of what side of the pond they are on.

Bill Lunsford
TexasSearcher

Return to General research queries