Moderator Control Panel ]

Tabraham

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Tabraham

Postby Historygeek71 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:45 am

I would like help with identifying the origins of my Tabraham side of my family. My grandfather’s family all seem to have been born, lived & died in the small village of Elsworth in cambridgeshire. I would like to know where the family originated before Elsworth. Was Tabraham a Jewish surname originally? I have found alternative spellings in the records for the family over the years Tabrum, Tabram & Tabraham. The earliest member I can find in Elsworth is a John Tabraham born 1712....
Historygeek71

Re: Tabraham

Postby JaneyH » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 am

Goodness! I saw the title of this post and immediately recognised the name; I went to school with someone of that name in the 1970s. She lived in the village of Swavesey, which is just a few miles from Elsworth.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
JaneyH

Postby Historygeek71 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Janey H, not sure who it was you went to school with but there’s not that many Tabraham’s around so must be one of my relatives. :D
Historygeek71

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:56 am

FamilySearch has a collection "England Births and Christenings 1538-1975" which throws together a lot of indexes to parish registers. That has a couple of dozen of Tabram baptisms in Cambridgeshire back in the 1500s - pretty much as far back as PRs go. There's also an interesting variant in Dorset in that era of Dabraham. If I recall correctly, the only difference between the pronunciation of T and D is that D is voiced and T isn't so you might need to consider variants using the initial letter D instead of T if you need to fill in gaps.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby HardWork » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 pm

Historygeek71 - I should think Tabraham is likely to be a surname variant of the place name Taverham, near Norwich, Norfolk. If you substitute V for B the pronunciation sounds little different, especially with that third consonant sounded softly.
HardWork

Return to General research queries