Moderator Control Panel ]

The children of Charles & Mary Ann Daniels

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

The children of Charles & Mary Ann Daniels

Postby SDV » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm

According to the 1911 census, Charles Daniels and Mary Ann Hewitson, who married in December 1872, had 8 children born alive, 6 of whom had died by 1911, with only 2 still being alive.

Try as I might I can only find 4 children: Charles Daniel Daniels 1873 @ Islington, James George 1877 @ Edmonton, Charles William 1888 @ Fulham and William 1892 @ Fulham. I also have appropriate baptisms for George James, Charles William and William.

I would appreciate some help with the remaining four children.
SDV

Re: The children of Charles & Mary Ann Daniels

Postby TheBrewer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:28 pm

I've found one of them James John DANIELS birth registered 3rd qtr 1895 Fulham, mothers maiden name HEWETSON (found at Find My Past)
TheBrewer

Postby SDV » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Many thanks. Just the three to go. All boys so far!

Different spellings of mother's maiden names is just one of the problems with the GRO site. Sometimes the various "phonetic" and "similar" options don't seem to work.
SDV

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:26 am

SDV wrote:... Sometimes the various "phonetic" and "similar" options don't seem to work.

Yes, it depends on how they're programmed. Some use lists of names, compiled manually over the years. Some use algorithms, probably the crudest of which is Soundex - that is simple because it was designed to be used manually (Drop the vowels, drop repeat consonants, etc Or something like that) Most use a range of options.

My vague idea is that the GRO site isn't hugely sophisticated in this respect. And the trouble always is - how do you *know* a spelling variant hasn't been picked up?

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SDV » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Adrian - I agree totally about the GRO website, which is a shame since it could easily be so much more. The 250 limit is also a pain, since you never know whether the criteria you entered would have generated the record you wanted if only the limit was, say, 350. It seems to me that it simply finds the first 250 records on an alphabetical basis and then stops, so you never know whether your record would have been in the next hundred or next five hundred records. Even an indication of how many records meet the given criteria would be useful. The trouble is you never know how to change the criteria to increase the chances of your desired record being displayed.

In the above example, the correct maiden name is HEWITSON. I would have expected HEWETSON to have been included in the various options. I now have no idea of variations of HEWITSON, which might generate the missing 3 children.

I also find needing to specify a gender to be irritating, as well as the plus/minus 2 year range. When trying to find offspring a combination of the GRO and FreeBMD would be fine: the GRO because of the maiden name and FreeBMD because of the lack of restriction on gender and the ability to specify a longer date range and search a particular county or if necessary district. This last point is useful for whilst a family may stay in one or even two counties, they often wander over several different districts with the counties.

Anyway, rant over.
SDV

Postby trace » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Also the GRO acknowledge several pages are missing from the electronic database and some duplicated.....
trace

Postby MayHam » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Were Charles or Mary Ann still living in 1939?
MayHam

Postby SDV » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm afraid that neither survived to 1939. Charles died in Jul 1912 at St Mary's in Paddington and Mary Ann in Mar 1923 in Kensington.
SDV

Postby MayHam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm

That's ok, thanks. Do you know where they are buried?
MayHam

Postby MayHam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Perhaps off-topic but I wonder if this Rosine Daniels may be a sister of Charles Sr.?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722004.0

I notice Charles Sr. says in the 1911 census he was born in Holloway.
He is also described as a labourer, bricklayer/maker in previous censuses.
Looks like he was in Islington in 1881, so, I'm guessing Charles Daniel Daniels (b.1873) was buried there as he is not included in any census. He may be the same Charles Daniels who died in 1873 in Islington.
Perhaps a plot book would be helpful? I didn't find Charles Sr. or Mary Ann in DeceasedOnline.
MayHam

Next

Return to General research queries