Moderator Control Panel ]

Pub records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Pub records

Postby mickawinn@hotmail.com » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 am

My relative Ethel Alice Winn married Percy Soper in 1910 and Robert Wishart Wood in 1913 after Percy had died. I understand that all three at some time were involved at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub in London. Can anyone guide me to any archive records so I can get a bit more detail?

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
mickawinn@hotmail.com

Re: Pub records

Postby phsvm » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:41 pm

The pub seems to be still in existance. I suggest you contact the current landlord.

https://londonist.com/pubs/pubs/pubs/ye ... ire-cheese

It also has its own Wikipedia page..
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:56 pm

There are also articles in the British Newspapers Archive on FMP. I searched initially for Polly and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese.
phsvm

Postby mickawinn@hotmail.com » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:33 pm

phsvm wrote:There are also articles in the British Newspapers Archive on FMP. I searched initially for Polly and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese.

mickawinn@hotmail.com

Postby mickawinn@hotmail.com » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:35 pm

phsvm wrote:There are also articles in the British Newspapers Archive on FMP. I searched initially for Polly and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese.

I wasn’t able to find any newspaper item mentioning any of 5he names. Are there any archive records for licence holders?

mickawinn@hotmail.com

Postby MoVidger » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:41 pm

According to an 1899 newspaper mention, Percy's mother Charlotte Elizabeth Soper (later Savage) was managing the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese at that point. According to the 1881 and 1891 census reports (and City Directories), the Soper family were involved with managing other public houses.

Just out of interest: Ancestry has a 1901 divorce record for Charlotte Elizabeth Savage. Spouse: William Gilbert Savage.

Ancestry has this record collection, but it's for Surrey: Surrey, England, Licensed Victuallers, 1785-1903

This website provides publican research info: https://pubwiki.co.uk/research/Pubresearch.shtml
MoVidger

Postby peter kent » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Are there any archive records for licence holders?

Licensing registers are great! They're easy to use and sometimes surprisingly interesting.

This research guide explains whats available

https://search.lma.gov.uk/rg_pdf_creato ... h_guide=68

I don't think any of the London registers are online so you might have to go to London Metropolitan Archives.
peter kent

Postby mickawinn@hotmail.com » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm

MoVidger wrote:According to an 1899 newspaper mention, Percy's mother Charlotte Elizabeth Soper (later Savage) was managing the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese at that point. According to the 1881 and 1891 census reports (and City Directories), the Soper family were involved with managing other public houses.

Just out of interest: Ancestry has a 1901 divorce record for Charlotte Elizabeth Savage. Spouse: William Gilbert Savage.

Ancestry has this record collection, but it's for Surrey: Surrey, England, Licensed Victuallers, 1785-1903

This website provides publican research info: https://pubwiki.co.uk/research/Pubresearch.shtml

Thanks for this. Don’t know how I missed the divorce record, interesting detail. Which newspaper was it because I still can’t find it?

mickawinn@hotmail.com

Postby MoVidger » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:30 pm

The newspaper mention for Mrs Charlotte Soper is in: The Globe, 10 Oct 1899 (page 7). She was fined for employing a lad of 15 over 74 hours per week. NOTE: The pub has been transcribed as "Yo Olde Cheshire Cheese" - so bear that in mind when searching for the article.

Also, Charlotte Savage's 1906 Probate Index record is on FMP and Ancestry. Looks like her daughter is mentioned in the record.
MoVidger

Postby mickawinn@hotmail.com » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks for that. I am still waiting for the copy will, they are experiencing heavy demand again.

mickawinn@hotmail.com

Return to General research queries