Moderator Control Panel ]

Gifford of Exeter

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Gifford of Exeter

Postby Vondick » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 pm

I have been researching the Gifford family for a few years and have lots of information about them. However, I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I have concerning two younger members of the family. Henry Gifford, died 1794 in Martinique and his brother, Samuel, died 1797 in Bermuda. (They are the cousins of Lord Robert Gifford, Master of the Rolls). They are both remembered on the tomb of their father, William Gifford, and their grandparents, William and Honor Gifford, in the Exeter Dissenters Graveyard but, obviously, are not buried there. Henry was an Army Ensign in the 17th Regiment of Foot and Samuel too was in the Army. Does anyone know where I might find more information about specific fighting events leading to their deaths and where there may be particular information about them, e.g where they were buried etc.?
Vondick

Re: Gifford of Exeter

Postby MoVidger » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Can't offer anything as regards burials or causes of death, but there are two military promotions mentioned for a Henry Gifford:

Kentish Gazette 29 April 1788
"70th Regiment of Foot: Mr Henry Gifford to be Ensign".

Kentish Gazette 27 May 1791
"70 Reg of Foot: Ensign Henry Gifford to be Lieut."

Also, you may have already seen this online Gifford family history:
http://www.edgt.org.uk/uploads/3/4/6/9/ ... g_2017.pdf

It mentions both Henry and Samuel ("He may have been in the navy, or working there in another capacity, or had gone there for trading purposes")
MoVidger

Postby Vondick » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I am the person who researched and submitted the history on the Exeter Dissenters Graveyard Trust (EDGT) website - I am a trustee. Thank you for the Kentish Gazette reports - clearly, Henry as an Ensign in the 70th Foot not 17th, I formation that is helpful!
Vondick

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:00 pm

The 70th Regiment of Foot is referenced in Wikipedia - that mentions an 1849 history of the regiment. The Battle of Martinique in 1794 is mentioned.

It would seem likely that the most important military records that survive for your chap are the Muster Rolls for the regiment at Kew. These are your best bet, I believe, for finding, precisely when he died. There might be other registers that record details of his discharge through death but my impression is that these are a bit pot luck. I don't know if there are the equivalent of War Diaries for that era that might describe events relating to the battles or surviving letters from the commanding officer to the War Office, but suggest that you have a look around in the Kew catalogue just in case.

Certainly, because he died in service, his Army service papers would have been scrapped.

Have a look at the Research Guides on the TNA website to see the sort of stuff that might be relevant.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Vondick » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks Adrian, will have a good look at TNA docs.
Vondick

Return to General research queries