Moderator Control Panel ]

My Great Grandfather.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: My Great Grandfather.

Postby avaline » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:23 pm

British Newspaper Archive, or via the newspapers on FindmyPast.

The first one was 4 October 1913, Newcastle Evening Chronicle & the other was 28 November 1913, same paper.

The OCR sometimes misreads words, for instance Haltwhistle has come up at least once as Flaltwltistle, and George Greenwell Carruthers is in the preview as just "reenwell Carruthers" so there may be other references that need more careful searching.
avaline

Postby Lumi » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:22 am

Thank you. I have found & read the articles. I had thought once I'd subscribed to an ancestry site I would have access to most documents. Thought by paying premium subscription would get me this. I obviously have to pay & subscribe to different sites. Can you advise on which is better value for the information you can access?
Also, can you tell me if you can see Magistrates archives? Just thought they would possibly of had more info regarding the offenders other than what was printed in the Newspaper article? But this is probably a no go area? Thanks for your help.
Lumi

Postby avaline » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:17 am

Which subscription site is better depends on which part of the country and/or type of record you are researching, but many libraries allow free access to both and I believe that FindmyPast still allows you to purchase credits rather than a full subscription.

As far as I'm aware only criminal records are online, although other information may be available at local archives etc.

Its also worth making use of the many free sites, such as familysearch, Freereg etc.
avaline

Previous

Return to General research queries