Moderator Control Panel ]

My Great Grandfather.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: My Great Grandfather.

Postby Amazinggrace » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi Lumi,
I thought at first that I could maybe help as I have got my Carruthers line back to the 1600's.
Unfortunately all of my lot are scottish. There is a great number of Carruthers' in the Dumfries
and Galloway area.A Carrutherstown (village) and even a Carruthers cemetery.Good luck with
your research.There is even a Carruthers clan and tartan!
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby Lumi » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi Grace, the thing is I dont even know where he was from, just that he was a lodger in the area. He could of been from Scotland.
This is so frustrating. But I shall dig & dig to see what I can find.
I do have ancestors from Scotland. My dad's Grandfather (Walton) was married to a Boyle.
Lumi

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:12 am

Lumi,
Might be worth trying scotlands people.I will check for you if you let me have as much info about him
that you have.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 am

Hi
I know it's a bit lat but I did have a thought.
You have the address when Mary Joyce was born ,have you tried the Electoral register for around the time.
During the War they didn't have Electroral registers but try 1919 with that address or if you have it Ethel's birth address .
You know alice was in Main St in 1911 and Low Fell in 1939.Presumable Mary Joyce would have been living with her when she got married.
So look 1918-1924 and see if there is a Mr Carruthers living with them.
I tried lookig for divorce records for Alice and John Porter but I can't see any.They might have named MR Carruthers as corespondent.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:25 am

Templ4r
The surname Carruthers is very common in Scotland. They are like bugs on a bumper.
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby Templ4r » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 am

A bit like the Thomas Morgan I'm trying to find in South Wales?

Every second person around Newport is a Morgan... :lol:
Templ4r

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Snap, Templ4r- I’ve got Morgan’s in Wales but no clue which bit. But then it seems that 98% of my family names are common, a bit like me! :D
Norfolk Nan

Postby Lumi » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:26 am

Looks like I'll have to give up this search as non of my uncles know his first name or where he might of come from (if he was a lodger I'm assuming he wasnt actually from the local area?!).
Thanks for all your advice.
Lumi

Postby avaline » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Have you tried searching using the address on the birth certificate, as suggested earlier?

For instance a newspaper search brings up a John Carruthers, miner of Main Street, Haltwhistle mentioned in 1913 for causing a disturbance on a train. The only John Carruthers I can find in 1911 is John Smith Carruthers aged 12, so its not him, but it might be the John Carruthers of Haltwhistle who married Jane Little in 1928 and (from the 1939 register) was born c1892 and remained in Haltwhistle.

There is also mention of a George Greenwell Carruthers, grocer, Haltwhistle residing in Carlisle, who was charged with pretending to act as a qualified solicitor when assisting a Mrs Armstrong of Lambley in connection with wages owed to her daughter.

You might find something in the school records, which I believe are held at Northumberland Archives, or there may even be something if Alice perhaps received some form of public assistance.
avaline

Postby Lumi » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Thank you for those bits of info. Where do I find these newspaper articles? As in my searches nothing is coming up. Thanks.
Lumi

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries