Moderator Control Panel ]

Ellen Allinson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ellen Allinson

Postby helen.norton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:37 am

Another mystery lady. Can anyone help me trace Ellen Allinson? Here is what I know so far:

She married George Harker, 29th Nov 1858, Nafferton (East Yorkshire) age 18, Spinster, from Nafferton. Father: Jonathan Allinson, Game Keeper. A William Allinson was a witness.

George & Ellen had a son, James Harker, born 8th Sep 1860, Nafferton. I cannot locate any of the family in 1861. Another son, Allinson Harker was born 26th Jan 1863, Hull. He died on 20th Sep 1863, death registered as 'Harrison' Harker by his mother Ellen and named as the son of George Harker, Labourer, of Hardings Square, New George Street.

In 1871 George is living with his mother in West Newton and has James with him too, but no sign of Ellen. In 1881 & 1891 George is still in West Newton and living with Alice Eaton, he is listed as single and she as his servant. They eventually married in 1898, George said he was a Widower, and they had at least one child, George Harker Eaton (born Nov 1881) whilst they were living together. Alice had 2 other children prior to living with George. I have traced George & Alice back and have their deaths etc. I have also traced the other son, James Harker, who ends up in the Howden area and there's no sign of Ellen living with him at any point later on.

There is a newspaper report in the Hull Packet, 28th Mar 1862, of an Ellen Harker, a young married woman, stealing and pawning some articles, the husband is also mentioned, but not by name, so that could possibly be them?

On 24th May 1874 a William Harker was born at Middle Street, Hull. No father named and the mother was Ellen Harker formerly Allinson, so it seems Ellen was still around and that her and George had split up. I cannot locate anything on Ellen, or the son William, after the birth.

I can't find Ellen on any census returns after her marriage in 1858 to confirm a birth place, though she must be alive until at least 1874. Then the delay with George not remarrying until 1898, did he know Ellen had now died or just thought it safe to now marry Alice? In terms of where she came from there was an Ellen Allinson baptised 11th May 1841, Bowes, North Yorkshire (now in County Durham) to Jonathan & Sarah (Gedling according to birth index) They are in Bowes in 1841 and Jonathan is a Game Keeper and there is an older brother, William, who could be the witness at the wedding. The family, minus Jonathan who had died, are still in Bowes in 1851. I can't be certain this is the correct Ellen but it seems a decent fit?

Any help in tracing Ellen, or the son William, at any point would be much appreciated
helen.norton

Re: Ellen Allinson

Postby MoVidger » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Probably not your Ellen, but in 1881 there is an Ellen Harker (widow) employed as a housekeeper at Farnborough Hall, Banbury, Warwickshire. Her age fits (41) but birthplace is Dunsworth, Yorkshire. I don't think there is a "Dunsworth" (as per census image) ??

However, there is a Dodworth, Dunford Bridge, and a Dunswell (near Hull) in Yorkshire.
MoVidger

Postby Templ4r » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:17 pm

On the MC a William Allinson was witness. Brother?

In 1841 there's a 13 year old William at Fraisthorpe, just up the coast with a father John who's a gamekeeper. (The Genealogist index as Allanson)
Templ4r

Postby helen.norton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:28 pm

Thanks to you both.

I hadn't come across the Ellen in 1881 before. I can't identify that birth place either. If she was the Ellen Allinson from Bowes then there doesn't appear to be anywhere in that area that sounds familiar but worth bearing her in mind to see if she can be eliminated.

My thoughts were that she was perhaps going under another surname after splitting with George, given that she pops up in Hull again when William is born in 1874 and there doesn't seem to be any records for him under Harker either, apart from his birth, and there must have been another man on the scene at some point. Very elusive, isn't she!

I also thought the William Allinson, who was a witness, could have been a brother which is why I had kept the family in Bowes in mind. I don't think I had come across the family in Fraisthorpe either so I will look into them further too.
helen.norton

Postby Templ4r » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:15 pm

The one in Bowes has them all. Ellen 1 month, William 3 and he is Jonathon a Gamekeeper, died by 1851..
Jonathon is down as Allison on the Will/Administration of 1850
The name seems to have changed about 1861 to Allinson.

In 1851 Ellen is still in Bowes with her mother Sarah.
In 1851, her sister Ann is in West Newton where the Harkers are.
In 1861 Ann is in Nafferton, so probably came down to her and maybe was at her house at the time of the marriage.

An interesting fact.. in the newspaper article you found, the owner of the house was Ann Housechild, in 1881 she is in the same house in Hull as James Sowerby a Widower. He was Ann Allinsons husband.

So, if you link everything together, then it probably is Ellen.
Last edited by Templ4r on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Templ4r

Postby helen.norton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Oh that's a great link up, thanks!

Now I've looked again James Sowerby was the other witness at the wedding too, so that seems to confirm it! I hadn't linked him up to Ann Allinson, sometimes you can't see the woods for the trees! And I notice they are living at 'Pockthorpe' Nafferton in 1861 and that's given as James Harker's birthplace on his birth certificate the previous year. So yes, I think you are right in that it does look like Ellen was the one from Bowes, and that the newspaper article relates to her too. Even having a birth place to work with she's very good at avoiding the census returns!
helen.norton

Postby Templ4r » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:17 pm

James married Ann in 1847.
I've saved all the census and marriage certs, etc so if you are short of any, I'll E mail them to you.

You can carry on going back down the family line, we've just got to find out where she went now.
Templ4r

Postby helen.norton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:59 pm

That's a very kind offer, thank you. I did have the 1841 & 1851 census returns for the Allinson's already and I'd found the parents marriage too so am happy to have proved the link. I do have a subscription to FMP at the minute so have just looked up the Sowerby's now you have pointed them out.

This Ann Housechild doesn't seem to know where she was born either, does she! Wondered if she may be a relative too, given that the Harker's seem to have been renting a room from her at the time of the incident and then she's later living with James Sowerby, seems a bit of a co-incidence? But there are 3 completely different birthplaces for her and her husband appears to have been German so can't spot a link there. They do have a number of boarders living with them in 1861 though.

The Bowes parish records are not available on FMP but given the 1841 census was taken when she was only a month old it does look like Ellen was born and grew up in Bowes itself, not a nearby parish, but I notice her elder siblings have different birth places to her. You would think if she had put Bowes down on any census returns she would pop up, even if she was using a different surname, but that doesn't appear to be the case, and then what happened to the son William too?
helen.norton

Return to General research queries