Moderator Control Panel ]

Sarah Harper

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Sarah Harper

Postby helen.norton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 am

Can anyone help find Sarah Harper before marriage please?

She married George Middleton, 30 Mar 1875, Bethnal Green, age 30, Spinster. Father: Samuel Harper, Deceased

She can be found on the census after marriage living with George, who was from Leven in East Yorkshire:

1881 Census - 10 Upper Marsh, Lambeth - age 39, born: Derbyshire

1891 Census - Stepney, age 47, birth place is hard to read, Turndeck (?) (Turnditch?) Derbyshire. There is a visitor, David Davies, age 11, born: Lambeth, Surrey. Unsure if there is a family connection to him? If so I don't think it is through George

1901 Census - Southwark, age 59, born: Belper, Derbyshire. There is a boarder, Annie Leary/Leavy, age 34, born: Southwark. Again, not sure if there is any family relationship to her

Possible death 25 Oct 1908, Beverley, Yorkshire, age 69. Not 100% sure on that but George appears to be in the Beverley Workhouse in 1911 and was born in the area so perhaps they returned there after 1901?

Prior to marriage, in 1871 at the Small Pox Convalescent Hospital, Islington is a Sarah Harper, age 30, born: Turnditch, Derby which could be her. I can't find anything prior to that which looks like a good match on the census, nor a baptism with a father named Samuel Harper

Can anyone help in tracing Sarah please?
helen.norton

Re: Sarah Harper

Postby Templ4r » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:49 am

Turnditch isn't far from our Farm, it's on the A517 from Ashbourne to Belper. There is a church there but maybe look for baptisms at Muggington, Duffield or Belper. It's really just cottages both sides of the road and a Pub, I think it's the Tiger.

I've been through the Turnditch register scans and there are no Harpers at all.
Templ4r

Postby helen.norton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks for the advice and checking, I'm not familiar with the area.

There seems to be a couple of Samuel Harper burial records in Belper (that does pop up as a birthplace later on) but a couple of them appear to be children.

There are numerous children baptised in Wirksworth to a Samuel & Hannah Harper (looks like the Samuel Lowe Harper/Hannah Byard marriage, 28th Dec 1829 in Wirksworth) Family Search has some images for these. Think I have found the family in 1841 in Alderwasley but they don't seem to have had a daughter named Sarah.

There's also another marriage in Wirksworth, 14th Aug 1839, Samuel Harper to Mary Amelia Marsh, says he's a bachelor, father: John Harper and she a spinster, father: Isaac Marsh. Think Mary is living with her father, Isaac Marsh, in Wirksworth in 1841, no Samuel with them but a daughter named Elizabeth, age 1 and no sign of a Sarah there either.

Of course the father's name could be fictitious. There is a Sarah Harper in Belper in 1851, age 15, born Belper, Niece to Rebecca Watson, 47, born Darley. In 1841 Rebecca is in Belper with a Peter Watson, age 40 so looks like her husband, but can't find a likely marriage to get her maiden name, no Sarah with her in 1841.

In 1841 a Sarah Harper, age 5, is living in Chesterfield with George & Hannah Perry (possible marriage at Pentrich in 1831, maiden name of Booth) and in 1861 there is a Sarah Harper, 24, born Belper living with Abraham & Hannah Booth and listed as a Niece to them so looks like there could be a link between these two but am struggling to fathom out the family relationships. Was Rebecca Watson also a Booth and then where does this Sarah Harper fit in and who were her parents?
helen.norton

Postby Templ4r » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Wirksworth and Alderwasley are both about 6 miles north of Turnditch. Alderwasley is just up the A6 from Belper.
Idridgehay and Shottle are a couple of miles to the north, so might be worth noting anything there.

The area is just on the bottom edge of the Peak District and is all hills. Villages are few and far between so the parishs are quite big, they were beef and sheep farms. I would think there are only 6 or 7 churches to the west of Belper
Templ4r

Postby helen.norton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:01 pm

And thanks for the info here too!

I feel like this Niece warrants further investigation, if only to rule her out, but am not getting very far. It does look like Hannah Perry was a Booth as that's the maiden name given for one of her children. She seems to have died in 1848 (buried 26 Oct, Derby, age 37) and George Perry has remarried by 1851.

Abraham Booth seems to have been born c. 1808 in Belper according to the census returns. There seems to be a Non-Conformist link to these Booth's too as his 2 children were baptised at the Independent Chapel, Belper. Possible baptism for him, 19th Jul 1807 to Abraham & Sarah Booth & they also had a daughter, Hannah, 17th Sep 1809. So they could have been siblings, though the transcription just says Derbyshire and doesn't say which church they were baptised at. Not sure where Sarah Harper fits in to their family though or the link to Rebecca Watson?
helen.norton

Return to General research queries