Moderator Control Panel ]

Mystery surname spelling

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mystery surname spelling

Postby Templ4r » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 am

Ianbee, I hope you'll reconsider, you have a vast amount of knowledge that will be sorely missed on the Forum.
Templ4r

Postby Norfolk Nan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Ianbee, you’re always full of knowledgeable and helpful information and advice. Please reconsider leaving.
Norfolk Nan

Postby Sucher » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 am

Norfolk Nan wrote:Ianbee, you’re always full of knowledgeable and helpful information and advice. Please reconsider leaving.

I’ll second that, Ian is a star to whom I owe a lot of thanks. If it really is ‘call it a day time’, happy retirement.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby devonliz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:41 am

I agree, it's always good to see a reply from ianbee - he's a rapid and efficient breaker-down of brick walls!
But his comments do raise the point that everything on this forum is not-for-profit, and therefore we should be sure to ask for help only when genuinely stuck, and only when looking up our own family history.
devonliz

Mystery surname spelling

Postby JaneyH » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Templ4r wrote:Ianbee, I hope you'll reconsider, you have a vast amount of knowledge that will be sorely missed on the Forum.

This forum will indeed be much the poorer without you, ianbee - I do hope you might reconsider. I’ve personally benefited enormously from your wisdom and lateral thinking, especially with the mysterious Florence Brooks.

Thanks to that exchange of posts I’m now in contact with a half second cousin of mine in the USA, and a direct descendant of Florence (not a blood relative to me) in Australia. As a result of ianbee’s work I was able to tell her all about her great-grandmother.

Best wishes, Jane

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Last edited by JaneyH on Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneyH

Postby MoVidger » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Ian - I'd wish you'd reconsider your retirement from the Forum. We owe you a great debt of gratitude for the exceptional assistance you've provided over the years. You're a legend.
MoVidger

Postby jimbo50 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:33 pm

Thank you so much, Ian for your methodical factual input to mine and other people's problem ancestors. Some of which has helped me as well. I feel as though I'm losing a great friend. There'll be a great hole in the forum. I wish you all the very best. Jim
jimbo50

Postby ianbee » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi everybody
I want to thank you all for your extremely nice comments, and let you know that they are very much appreciated. And to those who have sent me a pm, again, many thanks to you.

jimbo50 wrote:I feel as though I'm losing a great friend

Jim, thank you. I know what you mean. Although I don't really know any of you, I do regard you all as old friends. So if I have managed to be of help now and again, then I am delighted to have been able to. If that makes sense!

Jim, holes tend to get rapidly filled in! I think this one has been filled already, there are a terrific bunch of people on here contributing help and advice. Indeed you all chip in to the forum on an amazing range of subjects, most of which I know nothing about!

Finally, I want to send my best wishes for the future to everyone on this wonderful forum, as well as to all those who work on the magazine.
Ian
ianbee

Postby MaureenE » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:34 am

All the best Ian

Many thanks for all your helpful comments which will be sadly missed.

In particular, back in 2016, you were able to provide expert assistance in locating the living relatives in the UK of a rocket scientist from India Stephen Hector Smith, in response to a query which I had posted on behalf of someone writing a book. Truly amazing!

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby paulr1949 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:39 am

ianbee wrote:Hi everybody
I want to thank you all for your extremely nice comments, and let you know that they are very much appreciated. And to those who have sent me a pm, again, many thanks to you.

jimbo50 wrote:I feel as though I'm losing a great friend

Jim, thank you. I know what you mean. Although I don't really know any of you, I do regard you all as old friends. So if I have managed to be of help now and again, then I am delighted to have been able to. If that makes sense!

Jim, holes tend to get rapidly filled in! I think this one has been filled already, there are a terrific bunch of people on here contributing help and advice. Indeed you all chip in to the forum on an amazing range of subjects, most of which I know nothing about!

Finally, I want to send my best wishes for the future to everyone on this wonderful forum, as well as to all those who work on the magazine.
Ian

I’d like to add my thanks to everyone’s. Always very informative and I’m sure lots of brick walls have been broken! You will be missed

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Previous

Return to General research queries