Moderator Control Panel ]

Researching Catholic records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Researching Catholic records

Postby katebenn » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Has anyone researched Catholic baptisms successfully? If so how & where do you find them. I've not been successful at Warwick Records Office & they have suggested contacting the RC Cathedral (in Birmingham).
I was wondering if anyone had researched Catholic baptisms anywhere & if so where I could look for baptisms c1827.
Any help will be valuable.
katebenn

Re: Researching Catholic records

Postby MoVidger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:30 pm

The Warwick Records Office have probably provided you with this info, but just in case:

For information about Catholic registers and their whereabouts contact the Catholic Archivist at Cathedral House, St Chads, Queensway, Birmingham B4 6EU Tel: (0121) 236 2251.

In addition, this link may be helpful: https://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/do ... CCC-863-68
MoVidger

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 am

Hi
Some also appear on FMP.
the company has done a deal with Dioceses of Brirmingham .
So worth a quick look there first before a long trip
If you haven't got FMP give me a name and I'll have a look.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby katebenn » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 am

ciderdrinker wrote:Hi
Some also appear on FMP.
the company has done a deal with Dioceses of Brirmingham .
So worth a quick look there first before a long trip
If you haven't got FMP give me a name and I'll have a look.

Ciderdrinker

Hi,
Thanks for this - we have bitten the bullet & joined FMP & found what we were looking for.
The family were baptised in Coughton RC Chapel between 1825 & 1842. A visit to NT Coughton Court & the 2 churches nearby is a must when the house is open & the weather better.
Thanks again.
katebenn

Postby Lancer_MiG » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Yes, it's possible to just contact the local Catholic structures, I've worked with them in several countries and they're always happy to help people track their ancestors; and unless you're looking at a country that had lots of destruction, violence and displacements such as Poland, they're always very serious about their archives, and are likely to have the document you're looking for.
Lancer_MiG

Return to General research queries