Moderator Control Panel ]

Clack mystery help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Clack mystery help

Postby Will Mundy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:05 pm

Hello,

I have two Clack families in my tree one is that of my X6 great grandmother Ann Clack who was born in 1772 in Brize Norton, Oxfordshire. Her parents were Samuel Clack and Sarah Pearse Miles, Samuel died in 1813 in Brize Norton. Samuel and Sarah had 5 children between 1772 and 1788 in Brize Norton, I’m trying to trace Samuels origins but as of yet can’t.

The other Clack connection is my X7 great grandmother Rachel Clack, she married in 1750 in Bampton, Oxfordshire to William Atkins, they had 5 children between 1752 and 1764 in Brize Norton. I can’t believe that Rachel and Samuel aren’t related in some way, but I can’t seem to find how.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Clack mystery help

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 am

I would suggest you go back a few generations. It is highly likely that Rachel’s parents were related to Samuels Parents.
Due to the period involved, (pre 1837), it will mean trawling back through the Parish registers of Brize Norton and nearby churches.
Mick Loney

Postby HardWork » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 am

Not very scientific, and may be a red herring, but CLACK as a surname is commonly encountered as a surname in (generally) West Suffolk/East Cambridgeshire in my experience, and may be a version of CLARK/E.
HardWork

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:08 am

Will, I have the same mystery with Sharp(e) in a cluster of Suffolk villages. If you look through the census it seems that every second or third house contains a Sharp and I’ve got the Sharp marrying a Sharp combo too but I’ve gone back three generations and there’s no connection yet. I’ve made trees for each of the families (I have too much time) and there seems to be three distinct lines but how they are related is still a mystery. I have a theory but no proof yet.

I guess my best advice is to follow your individual families but make no assumptions. If they are related it will soon become clear. Coincidences do happen.
Norfolk Nan

Postby HardWork » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Unlucky. I too have SHARPS in Great Thurlow, Suffolk and another family of interest in Wickhambrook but as it is common name there it certainly is hard to link families as soon as you get into the 18th century or earlier.
HardWork

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Oooh, Hardwork, I’m Wickhambrook too and I think mine originate from a Thomas there. Mine are in the Saxhams and Risby before then. I’m off to the RO to take a look at the PRs next week - fingers crossed.
Norfolk Nan

Postby OldGreyWizard » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:31 pm

I am researching the Clack family too. My maiden name was Clack. My earliest Clack family are from Brize Norton, although not the names you mention: Thomas Clack born 1760 (son of Thomas born about 1730) married to Jane BENFIELD of Brize Norton. Their children, all born in Brize Norton: Samuel 1786, Jane 1788, Elizabeth 1791, Edward 1793, Thomas 1796. I have a lot of parish records from this village and others in the area, so in the next few days (having time on my hands!) I’ll see if I can come up with anything for you. I think your Brize Norton Clacks and mine must be related.
OldGreyWizard

Postby Will Mundy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:03 pm

OldGreyWizard wrote:I am researching the Clack family too. My maiden name was Clack. My earliest Clack family are from Brize Norton, although not the names you mention: Thomas Clack born 1760 (son of Thomas born about 1730) married to Jane BENFIELD of Brize Norton. Their children, all born in Brize Norton: Samuel 1786, Jane 1788, Elizabeth 1791, Edward 1793, Thomas 1796. I have a lot of parish records from this village and others in the area, so in the next few days (having time on my hands!) I’ll see if I can come up with anything for you. I think your Brize Norton Clacks and mine must be related.

Thanks for that, yes I think they must all be related at some point. I seem to remember there were some clacks in the Witney area but none of the names matched up.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Will Mundy

Postby OldGreyWizard » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:58 pm

I’ve had an extensive search online and of my personal BMD records taken from the original parish records in the 1980s : to no avail. It seems there’s very little before 1750 for Clacks in Brize Borton and Bampton. I found a birth record of a Charles Clack to Samuel & Elizabeth Clack of Brize Norton, 1769. Possibly Elizabeth was a first wife to Samuel? (Pure conjecture). I tried Oxfordshire newspapers 1750 and earlier, but there is very little online for this at present. I would suggest you try Oxfordshire Record Office (also known as Oxfordshire History Centre). Obviously a visit is not possible right now, but you could e mail. They have many records which are not on the Family History sites. Settlement Records (Poor Relief) might be a possibility to look at. There’s quite a long list of records they have on their website . Sorry I was unable to find anything definite.
OldGreyWizard

Postby Will Mundy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:06 pm

OldGreyWizard wrote:I’ve had an extensive search online and of my personal BMD records taken from the original parish records in the 1980s : to no avail. It seems there’s very little before 1750 for Clacks in Brize Borton and Bampton. I found a birth record of a Charles Clack to Samuel & Elizabeth Clack of Brize Norton, 1769. Possibly Elizabeth was a first wife to Samuel? (Pure conjecture). I tried Oxfordshire newspapers 1750 and earlier, but there is very little online for this at present. I would suggest you try Oxfordshire Record Office (also known as Oxfordshire History Centre). Obviously a visit is not possible right now, but you could e mail. They have many records which are not on the Family History sites. Settlement Records (Poor Relief) might be a possibility to look at. There’s quite a long list of records they have on their website . Sorry I was unable to find anything definite.

Thanks for your endeavours to try and solve the mystery. I did have a look at the CD parish registers for Brize Norton and found the deaths of Samuel, Elizabeth and Charles. I found Clacks in Broadwell and Ducklington in the 1700s but couldn’t find a Samuel or Rachel. I also checked Clark but again to no success. I will check the history centre when open again.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Will Mundy

Return to General research queries