Moderator Control Panel ]

Home Guard Uniform

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Home Guard Uniform

Postby ColinW » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Another member of my family.

Can someone let me know if this Is this the ‘Home Guard’ uniform? Thank you.
Attachments
Charles Henry Evans Bowhay.jpg
Charles Henry Evans Bowhay.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 317 times
ColinW

Re: Home Guard Uniform

Postby JaneyH » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm certainly no military expert, but given how similar it is to a picture of my grandfather in his Home Guard uniform, I'd say "yes".
Grandad (Home Guard).jpg
Grandad (Home Guard).jpg (64.29 KiB) Viewed 272 times
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:25 pm

I had a look at my book of military photos and, so far as I could see, there is no such thing as a Home Guard uniform. By this I mean that once they got put into uniform, they were put into standard British Army battledress of the period.

I think that the only way to tell that someone was in the Home Guard would be to read the shoulder title, which runs in an arc at the top of the arm. My impression was that everyone had such a shoulder title so, unless someone can read the title on the original photo, that's not much help. Even the cap badges were those of the local infantry(?) regiment to which the HG units were affiliated.

Some people may have a photo showing a cloth badge down below the curved shoulder title - I know that at least one of those cloth badges was distinctive - that used by the Home Guard Anti Aircraft units (I still have my Dad's). However, unless there's a bigger version of the original photo and pure luck, that's not likely to be much help.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks, Adrian - that's worth knowing. I'm lucky that I also have these bits from my Grandad (well, at least my Mum loaned them to me).
Home guard.jpg
Home guard.jpg (59.51 KiB) Viewed 265 times
JaneyH

Postby ColinW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
ColinW

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Janey - how wonderful to have those. I suspect that you (and many others) know that the LDV armband dates from before the uniforms, and that the flippant interpretation of LDV was "Look, Duck and Vanish".

If any of you have the identity cards of your Home Guard relatives, it would be worth checking if they are stamped with their HG units - my Dad's ID card is stamped with his two Anti Aircraft batteries, though I think that I might have needed to know what the options were, before I could read them for certain.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 am

"Look,Duck and Vanish" made me smile.My late father was in the R.A.S.C.,he said it was
known as "Run away someones coming".
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby JaneyH » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 am

I hadn’t heard either phrase, but they both made me smile. My Grandad lived in rural north Devon during WW2. The story goes that while patrolling the river banks, sometimes a salmon was shot as “it could have been the enemy, swimming up the river”. It was certainly one way to supplement the weekly rations!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
JaneyH

Return to Military help