Moderator Control Panel ]

Mabbott brick wall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mabbott brick wall

Postby annfaml » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 am

Having another crack at my Mabbott brick wall and am hoping that someone can help.

My 3x great grandmother was Sarah Mabbott. Her place of birth is listed as Boston, Lincolnshire on the 51, 61 & 71 census. Her date of birth is listed consistently on all 3 census as 1830/31. I have never found a baptism record for her or for any siblings in the area.

I have found a Sarah Mabbott in the Boston workhouse on the 41 census of approximately the right date of birth (1829). Unfortunately there are no other members of the family listed within the workhouse or anywhere else in the area.

Sarah was a servant in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire on the 1851 census. She is listed in the same household as her future husband Thomas Emery, who she married on the 22nd May 1851 in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. Her father is listed on the marriage certificate as John Mabbott with his occupation listed as a Draper.

Sarah and Thomas were in Sheffield for the 61 census and eventually settled in Doncaster (71 census and both buried there).

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find her parents so I can start unpicking the extended family? I would be very grateful for any pointers as this brick wall has been frustrating me for a few years now.
annfaml

Re: Mabbott brick wall

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:56 pm

have you thought about contacting the Lincolnshire family History Society?
They are a very friendly helpful lot.
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby avaline » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:14 pm

There is always a possibility that she 'invented' a father if she was actually illegitimate.

There is a burial at Boston on 16 Jul 1832 of Sarah Mobbit aged 33 of Boston. Nothing to indicate whether she was married or single unfortunately.

Lincolnshire Archives has some records for Boston Workhouse, but for the relevant time these seem limited to Guardians' minute books (1836-38, 1841-1930); Admissions and discharges (1838-9).
avaline

Postby Templ4r » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:15 pm

I've got a lot of Lincolnshire stuff, My grand mothers maternal line is from around Spalding and the south lincs area.

I'll have a look through it.
Templ4r

Postby elsabels » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Potential
1841 Boston Workhouse
HO107; Piece: 613; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Boston; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: Boston Workhouse; Folio: 26; Page: 4; Line: 23

Sarah Mabbut 12

A draper was a profession back then with formal training
elsabels

Postby Templ4r » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:01 pm

The best resource for all things Lincolnshire is the archives site at https://www.lincstothepast.com/, you can look at scans for every church register in Lincolnshire ( you can't print them out unfortunately), wills and loads of other documents. It's well worth spending a bit of time looking at all there is on the site.

I've been through all the microfiche and downloads LFHS do and there is no Sarah or any other Mabbott at Boston. There are other names used, Mabbert, Mabbot, Mabbut and Mabburt. They seem to be more towards Sleaford and Coningsby.One of the first references in the area to a Mabbot is one removed in 1787 back to Northampton, William, a Rogue and Vagabond.

There are some at Old Leake, just up from Boston, about 5 miles up the coast road. Probably worth looking at those families first.
There are a lot of Nonconformists in Lincolnshire. I can't find her in the records LFHS have or on Ancestry.

There are 2 Sarahs born 1830 to John, both in Sleaford but they are a Labourer and a Bricklayer.
Templ4r

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:08 pm

I’m also looking for Lincolnshire records at the moment and have used lincstothepast before. I didn’t realise they cover every parish. I’ve sometimes found the ones I’m looking for have no scanned image. Do I need to change my search criteria?
I would agree with Grace’s comment about the LFHS. I’ve joined recently and already had help from someone I connected with through the surname interest part of the site.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Postby Templ4r » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:32 pm

I use Dusty Docs as it links to each register directly. Saves a lot of time as you can go to the parish and the register and date..

http://www.dustydocs.com/county/1/engla ... shire.html
Templ4r

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:14 pm

Templ4r wrote:I use Dusty Docs as it links to each register directly. Saves a lot of time as you can go to the parish and the register and date..

http://www.dustydocs.com/county/1/engla ... shire.html

Singleton1922

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Thank you. I hadn’t heard of that site. That’s perfect

Singleton1922

Next

Return to General research queries