Moderator Control Panel ]

Mystery marriage

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mystery marriage

Postby Langarth15 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Can anyone help as to why a bride has two different surnames for the same marriage please. The groom is the same, place and date exactly the same, but two entries with the same reference number for both surnames. One is her maiden name, but I do not know the other one at all. Thank you .
Langarth15

Re: Mystery marriage

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Perhaps she was illegitimate, and used both her mother and step-fathers surnames to avoid future problem in using wrong one!
I know of one person whose birth was registered twice, in both her mother and her fathers surname, as they weren’t married at the time of registration.
Mick Loney

Postby Templ4r » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:32 pm

If you are going by an index and not the actual certificates, I'd say she was either a Widow or divorced if they are completely different names.

It could be a mis spelling and a correction.
As said, it's often done on births when the parents marry.
Templ4r

Postby Langarth15 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:34 pm

The lady is my late mother in law, so we know her birth was legitimate, and her birth name is correct, I think sending for the certificates might be the only way to find out for sure. I just wondered if anyone had come across this before. Thank you for your suggestions.
Langarth15

Postby phsvm » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:52 pm

I have found a similar situation. The groom seems to have alternated between using his birth name and the surname of the couple who adopted him. His marriage is registered under both surnames but when I ordered the certificate it stated one surname but with 'otherwise' and then his other used surname written in the space for the groom's name.

Are you certain she wasn't married previously and registered this marriage in both her former and previous surname? You say she was your mother in law so you 'know' but it's surprising what secrets people keep!
phsvm

Postby Langarth15 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:17 pm

We do not know anything for sure about her early adult years, but she was not adopted. My husband and his older sister were born in the late fifties. They are full siblings, but their parents were not married, however she did style herself as "Mrs" on their birth certificates. Another son was born to a different father early sixties, but his name is not known to us. She disappeared from my husband and sister in laws life at this point for over 30 years. She did legally marry in 1964 and this is where the second surname appears on the GRO indexes. When she briefly re-entered our lives in the mid 1990's she had married again with 4 more kids, 2 of whom were her last husbands. The others are anyone's guess! I have looked in vain for a marriage for her from 1958-64 but no luck. Even more disturbing perhaps is that I can't find any divorce records either.
Langarth15

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:34 pm

I have at least one certificate for a divorced relative who married again. In fact the very I sent for was for her third marriage after two divorces. That information was on the certificate. I also have one for her half-sister who married a divorced man, his former wife was named. Very useful for sorting out what might be confusing information.
The listing for the marriage should have the same index number...e.g. Jane Smith and Jane Jones number matching the index number for Jack Brown.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries