Moderator Control Panel ]

David Baddiel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

David Baddiel

Postby junkers » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:23 pm

As people know David was on WDYTYA some time ago and there is very interesting programme he did for the BBC yesterday on the Holocaust deniers (it is on the BBC I-Player), it does have some strong language and distressing images. In one document from the Ministry of Information (INF 1/251) at The National Archives (TNA) David read that the view from Government was that the Jewish people were not innocent or that the British people would view them as not innocent. It does show why Government and other archives exist to tell the truth, the FO 950 (Nazi Persecution Claims) files for example are there to tell the story of the Holocaust with detailed testimonies. It is somewhat disturbing I think that TNA decided not to even put up a blog on the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, just a copy of the map of the camp on their twitter page, whilst devoting a lot to their 'Love' exhibition.
junkers

Re: David Baddiel

Postby JaneyH » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:31 pm

The TV programme was very moving, and made me feel uncomfortable at times. I hadn’t appreciated what TNA had (or rather hadn’t) done around the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
JaneyH

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:34 pm

I have not seen the programme yet, but will.I find it impossible to believe there are holocaust deniers.
My late father was one of the first allied soldiers to enter Belsen concentration camp on liberation,and
I know it affected him deeply.
By keeping these facts to the fore is the only way to prevent something like this ever happening again.
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Postby junkers » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Grace,

I am afraid that there are many deniers, some of the claims in the film are unbelievable, the evidence is clear and overwhelming. I think it is the responsibility of organisations like The National Archives to teach people about the truth, alas they are more interested in other issues. They say people should also try and learn from history to stop it being repeated.
junkers

Return to Genealogy chat