Moderator Control Panel ]

Amalgamating Ancestry Trees

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Amalgamating Ancestry Trees

Postby RedCarp » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Years ago when first subscribed to Ancestry I created separate trees for different ancestral lines.
Now I am using my DNA results it is neither useful nor convenient because I am unable to attach more than one tree to my DNA results.
An Ancestry advisor on a YouTube tutorial states one should be using just one tree.
My query is how do I amalgamate my 4 trees without the need to create a new holistic tree involving countless hours work? Naturally there is also some duplication between trees before they diverge so I don’t want to risk cloning myself and my immediate forbears.
Is it possible?
By the way I have found the thru lines very useful in identifying where some third and fourth cousins attach to my tree. My grandparents and greatgrandparents either did not remain in contact with their siblings and their descendants or did not pass any information on to my parents . It has been good to identify my parents’ first and second cousins etc without any doubt that the details are correct. More distant relationships are useful in confirming that my research is correct, though some I have rejected as being unproven.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
RedCarp

Re: Amalgamating Ancestry Trees

Postby Nanel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 am

Hi
Can I ask did you ever find out how to amalgamate the trees which you have, which I have the same problem with - four individual trees and going back through them and seeming to think tht I have done this action before is rather confusing!
Nanel
Nanel

Postby meekhcs » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 am

I am afraid there is no quick solution, or if there is I haven’t found it!!
Choose one tree as your starting point then its a case of transferring people from your other trees via the “save to tree button” which you will find in the Tools section.
TBH I started a specific DNA research tree and saved to tree on that because it need only be a skeleton tree of BMD’s for everyone
Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby Nanel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 pm

to be honest, you would think that there would be a solution to this problem rather than going through each individual - mine is definetly not a skeleton tree, by any stretch of the imagination. But thank you for your response
Nanel
Nanel

Postby meekhcs » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:23 pm

I was talking purely from the perspective of creating a tree for DNA purposes.

All you need for that is a BMD for each person in your DNA tree. Saving to tree just transfers those basic BMDs.
DNA matches simply tells you who you match with and at what level, but Thru lines links your matches according to who you and they have in your trees for each generation, and you have to decide whether they are right or wrong.

If you wish to combine your trees to one for your own purpose then it is a lot more long winded because you will need to fill in all the extra records, individually, for each person.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby RedCarp » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Thank you everyone. Seems like there isn’t a simple method and I’ll just have to settle for that skeleton tree. Of course, if one could link more than one tree to one’s DNA results then this wouldn’t be necessary.
As one of the corona virus vulnerable I will be spending more time on my tree for a while. Am already practising social distancing. Keep healthy everyone!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
RedCarp

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 pm

One method that hasn’t been mentioned, is the use of PC programs. Many of these, like family historian, have facilities for the intelligent merging of trees using gedcom files. Whilst not perfect, they do make a good fist of merging files.
Download your online trees via gedcom files, then use a PC program to merge them. Once merged, you could then upload the resultant merged file if required.
For newcomers, I suggest you keep to just one tree, do not split them into different branches, e.g. one for each grandparent. Because A) children and grandchildren will be duplicated for each tree, and B) ancestors from different trees may have actually married, something you may not realise when they are In separate trees.
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries