Moderator Control Panel ]

Dragoons

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Dragoons

Postby OliveB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:02 pm

avaline wrote:Its on Find my Past

Thanks Avaline. Unfortunately I’m not on there - only Ancestry. Find My Past do seem to have more Military records

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
OliveB

Postby ianbee » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:24 pm

You could check if your library has access to findmypast (luckily for me, mine does)
Any dragoon regiments barracked at Leeds in 1822?
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm

I'd be very wary of matching a dragoon with the same name with your chap. If your chap received a pension from long service (21y???) or ill health, some sort of record for him should survive. If he was simply made redundant (to use modern terminology) - as many were at the end of the Napoleonic Wars - his personal papers would have been scrapped.

His name will appear in the Quarterly Muster Rolls for his unit, regardless of any pension - but how would you tell him apart from anyone else with the same name??? While Muster Rolls normally need to be consulted at Kew, Ancestry have a selection online - some in the Canadian collections (!) Someone has also indexed them for around the time of Waterloo but I'm away from my desktop at the moment so can't remember if that's Ancestry or FindMyPast nor do I understand how wide the coverage is.

There are a number of miscellaneous registers of varying content such as the WO 25/903 register mentioned above but it really is pot luck there. Other books may give where a soldier came from or where they were going to after leaving the Army but again you have the problem of how you might link him to your chap.

Apologies if this is all a bit high level but I'm trying to set expectations.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 pm

Incidentally, if he's still in the Army in 1822 (if) then the chance of him staying in long enough to get a pension is that much higher, I suspect, because the Army had already gone through its downsizing. Also, each Quarterly Muster Roll should record where the unit was at the time. But I think that does need a trip to Kew and looking at a lot of pieces.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby OliveB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:40 pm

ianbee wrote:You could check if your library has access to findmypast (luckily for me, mine does)
Any dragoon regiments barracked at Leeds in 1822?

Thank you. I will check the Library - didn’t think of that !!
I will check out Dragoon regiments as well. Thank you

OliveB

Postby avaline » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Just to clarify, the seamans ticket was a merchant seaman record, not Royal Navy.

Regards the Thomas Handley from Lincolnshire. Its not conclusive by any means, but his military record shows he was born Ludford and was a labourer. There are baptisms in Ludford for children of Thomas & Ann, a labourer of Towes
26 Oct 1823 Michael s/o Thomas & Ann Handley, Towes, Labourer
20 Aug 1826 John s/o Thomas & Ann Handley, Towes, Labourer.

Michael married Susanna Colum in Louth in 1847 naming his father as Thomas, Labourer.
In the 1851 census Susanna’s PoB is Somercotes
There is a burial in North Somercotes 29 Jul 1838 of John Handley of Somercotes, aged 10.
Also a burial 29 Jan 1836 of Thomas Handley of Somercotes, aged 47
avaline

Postby OliveB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:47 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:I'd be very wary of matching a dragoon with the same name with your chap. If your chap received a pension from long service (21y???) or ill health, some sort of record for him should survive. If he was simply made redundant (to use modern terminology) - as many were at the end of the Napoleonic Wars - his personal papers would have been scrapped.

His name will appear in the Quarterly Muster Rolls for his unit, regardless of any pension - but how would you tell him apart from anyone else with the same name??? While Muster Rolls normally need to be consulted at Kew, Ancestry have a selection online - some in the Canadian collections (!) Someone has also indexed them for around the time of Waterloo but I'm away from my desktop at the moment so can't remember if that's Ancestry or FindMyPast nor do I understand how wide the coverage is.

There are a number of miscellaneous registers of varying content such as the WO 25/903 register mentioned above but it really is pot luck there. Other books may give where a soldier came from or where they were going to after leaving the Army but again you have the problem of how you might link him to your chap.

Apologies if this is all a bit high level but I'm trying to set expectations.

Thank you Adrian. There’s a lot for me to think about here so I will try to get my head around it and see what I can find out.
With all the information and advice I’ve received today I feel I’m a little bit further forward.
Perhaps I haven’t reached my ‘brick wall’ just yet!!

OliveB

Postby avaline » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:39 pm

It seems that John was in Ireland at some point - see image 143 of 471:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/C2976577
16 Jun 1857 from HMS Gladiator (to Castletown). Removed 31 Jan 1861 to Chichester

This then shows him in Chichester - image 249 of 791
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/C2976565

The SoG also has a note of a Church of Ireland baptism in Castletown / Castletownbere (Co. Cork has been added)

Born 9 Mar 1858 Thomas Handley s/o John Handley & wife Fanny of Castletown CG Station
avaline

Postby OliveB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:14 pm

avaline wrote:It seems that John was in Ireland at some point - see image 143 of 471:
16 Jun 1857 from HMS Gladiator (to Castletown). Removed 31 Jan 1861 to Chichester

The SoG also has a note of a Church of Ireland baptism in Castletown / Castletownbere (Co. Cork has been added)

Born 9 Mar 1858 Thomas Handley s/o John Handley & wife Fanny of Castletown CG Station

Thank you Avaline. That’s very interesting. I have records of my John having a son Thomas born in Ireland in 1858, in 1861 census. I didn’t know any more than that though. That’s a great help

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
OliveB

Postby OliveB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:49 pm

avaline wrote:It seems that John was in Ireland at some point - see image 143 of 471:

Can you tell me if the SoG is free to join. I have just done so but I can’t seem to find the record. I’m wondering if I need to pay?

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
OliveB

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries