Moderator Control Panel ]

Canterbury Wills

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Canterbury Wills

Postby Norfolk Nan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:26 pm

MoVidger very kindly found a will on Ancestry that is near impossible to read so I'm wondering if there is any chance of a better copy elsewhere? The original was proved by The Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The few lines that refer to my ancestor suggests she is bequeathed £20 but I can make out the Court of Chancery in the very next line so I'd like to work out what that's all about. Her younger brother and sister were given several houses and land so clearly there's a family rift and I'd like to know more.
Norfolk Nan

Re: Canterbury Wills

Postby jimbo50 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Maybe not a family rift, if this wasn't her real father's will. Wasn't her mother widowed in 1807 and remarried ?
jimbo50

Postby Norfolk Nan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:02 pm

No, she was widowed in 1807 and remarried. But I can't find a baptism for her, and she is probably the eldest of his baptised children, so I am wondering if her mother was a widow? I can't find their marriage yet either...
Norfolk Nan

Postby avaline » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 pm

If its the will of Joseph Sparshott Loney then there is a clearer copy on The Genealogist. There's a couple of words I cant quite make out, but after Margaret Hannah's £20 he basically says that he's pursuing two debts owed to him through the Court of Chancery, and once the money is recovered it's to be split equally between his son Thomas and his daughter Anna.

This is my transcription from the top of page 2:

…sum of twenty pounds and whereas I have now two suits(?) in his Majestys High Court of Chancery [d?????ing] & which have been instituted by me against Mary Smith and others for the recovery of money due to me from the said Mary Smith and also against William Thomas for the recovery of money due to me from Thomas James Frow(?) I do hereby give and bequeath the two several debts or sums of money when recovered unto my son Thomas Connor Loney and to my daughter Anna Loney to be equally divided between them share and share alike and as to all other my personal estate and effects I give and bequeath unto my said daughter Anna Loney and I do hereby nominate and appoint my said daughter Anna Loney sole executrix (etc etc)
avaline

Postby Norfolk Nan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Avaline, thank you so very much. I am glad that there was nothing contentious between Joseph and Margaret although why she got so little compared to the others is still a mystery. Families, eh?

Thank you once again. :D
Norfolk Nan

Postby ianbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm

TNA catalogue. Chancery records.
Loney v Thomas. Bill and answer
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/C9399831

Loney v Smith. Answer only
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/C9400226
ianbee

Postby Norfolk Nan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Thank you Ianbee, darn the lack of digitalisation but I’ll hold onto the info anyway.

I’m wondering if Margaret got ‘her share’ when she married the first time in the form of a dowry. She fell on hard times when she married into my lot. Such a shame for all concerned.

Thanks everyone for adding so much more to this branch of my tree. :D
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries