Moderator Control Panel ]

Which one?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Which one?

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Richard Webb - 1851 census says born Rochford Herefordshire but lives in Worcestershire. I can find a baptism for him in both Rochford, Worcestershire and Eastham, Worcestershire (where he lives after marriage) in the same year 1789. I don't know anything about this part of the country but the two parishes look side-by-side with the county border very nearby? Could Rochford have been Herefordshire at one time?

Parents, as recorded on the baptisms, are either William and Jane (Rochford) or Richard and Susannah (Eastham). His wife's parents are Francis and Elizabeth. Richard has children in this order: Ann, William, Elizabeth, Richard, Jane, Sarah, Francis, Samuel and Mary.

Which baptism is most likely to be my chap's?
Norfolk Nan

Re: Which one?

Postby PaulH01 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm

GENUKI for Rochford Worcs has the following extract:

"ROCHFORD, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Worcester, 2 miles N.E. of Tenbury, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Teme, and is chiefly agricultural. A portion of the land, which is rich and fertile, is in hop grounds. Until recently this parish formed part of the county of Hereford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, exhibiting specimens of early architecture. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum, distributed to the poor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
PaulH01

Re: Which one?

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:38 pm

It's looking like Rochford and William and Jane, isn't it. Thank you. :D
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries