Moderator Control Panel ]

Margaret Hannah Loney

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Margaret Hannah Loney

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:21 am

Margaret Hannah Loney married a John Carr in 1800 at St Magnus, London Bridge. From what I have she claims to have been born c1779 in Southwark, Surrey but I can't find a baptism or her birth family. I know about her life post marriage but nothing provides useful clues. Any help please?
Norfolk Nan

Re: Margaret Hannah Loney

Postby MoVidger » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:13 pm

There are several Loney baptisms in Southwark (circa 1779-1796), but I don't see one for Margaret Hannah. Parents: Joseph Sparshott & Mary Loney. Two of the baptisms list father's occupation as "Gentleman".

His 1818 will on Ancestry mentions daughter: Margaret Hannah Davison. Did your Margaret remarry?

Ancestry have other records for Joseph. He started as a clerk in a solicitors' office, then became a solicitor (according to these records).
MoVidger

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi Mo - yes Margaret Hannah Carr was widowed in 1807 but married William Davison in 1816 and had a son in 1818. The family were in and out of the workhouse for a number of years so either she didn't hear about the will or it wasn't enough to help. Thank you for the help - I'm assuming Sparshott is a middle name? There was an Anna/Annie Loney who witnessed a number of marriages - was she one of the two baptisms you found?
Norfolk Nan

Postby MoVidger » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:48 pm

Yes, Anna was another Loney daughter. She's also mentioned in Joseph's will. There may be other names mentioned (e.g. the sons), but my eyesight isn't up to reading the will more closely today. :(

I think Sparshott is Joseph's middle name although it's mispelled on some records.

Here's his baptism record below. I haven't located a marriage to wife Mary yet. When he died (age 61), his abode was Lawrence Street, Chelsea. Wife Mary appears to have died in 1807 (St Olave's).

Name: Joseph Spanshot Loney
Record Type: Christening (Baptism)
Baptism Date: 19 Sep 1756
Baptism Place: St Mary Abchurch, City of London, London, England
Father: John Loney
Mother: Margaret Loney
MoVidger

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:36 pm

I can't read the will either - I think Margaret gets twenty pounds but she's in the work house in 1819 - what went wrong? Perhaps it never reached her? They had been resettled from Hillingdon to Chelsea. William Davison was a shoemaker/labourer and certainly not of the learned class. I can't find a baptism for her, nor Joseph and Mary's marriage but I wondered if she might have been a step-child? I can't remember what John Carr (first husband) did but it was craft/labouring rather than professional. Joseph did quite well so I assume everything with him is above board. I suppose Span(r)shott is a family name.
Norfolk Nan

Postby MoVidger » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:03 pm

Another mention for Joseph on Ancestry:

London, England, City Directories, 1736-1943
Name: Joseph Sparshot Loney
Residence Date: 1802
Street address: Tooley St
Residence Place: London, England

Looks like Joseph had a nephew?

Name: Joseph Sparshot Lony
Birth Date: 15 Feb 1785
Birth Place: Chancery Lane
Baptism Date: 13 Mar 1785
Baptism Place: St. Dunstan-in-the-West, London, England
Father: Thomas Lony
Mother: Hannah Lony
MoVidger

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Although not related to me as far as I know, could Margaret be Catholic? Like me , many of my own ancestors are, and come from the same area. i.e Ratcliffe and Limehouse, just across the river. This is one reason I think, that i can’t get past my own brickwall, Samuel Loney, born 1802 in Ratcliffe.

There is reason to believe that some Loney’s originated in the west country, as during my research I found many in London that came from there, but have yet to find a link with my own line.
Mick Loney

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi Mick. Margaret is a mystery, I did wonder about the Catholic possibility but her siblings were all baptised in CofE churches. Her dad did very well for himself but seems to have been at odds with his eldest child. His will might shine a light if only I could read it - it’s indecipherable! If I find any connection to Ratcliffe I’ll let you know :D
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries