Moderator Control Panel ]

Did children get moved between workhouses?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Did children get moved between workhouses?

Postby Brypye » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 pm

I've traced an orphan ancestor to a workhouse in Crossgate Durham, Margaret Anderson, born approx 1847. She's in the 1851 census there. I hired Durham record office but they were unable to find a likely birth/baptism and there was nothing in workhouse Master's notes.

After a long time, and trying different searches, I found a Margaret Anderson born to Ann Anderson, unmarried, in Barnard castle workhouse in 1847. This is approx 1 hr away from corssgate in today's terms.

How likely is it that Margaret would have been moved from Barnard castle to Crossgate without her mother? Ann appears to stay in Barnard castle workhouse until her death in 1878.

Am I clutching at straws?

Appreciate any help, or general advice on workhouses.
Brypye

Re: Did children get moved between workhouses?

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:59 pm

I can at least direct you to Peter Higginbotham's site on http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Durham Crossgate appears to have been in Durham Poor Law Union (PLU) http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Durham/ and Barnard Castle in Teesdale PLU http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Teesdale/ - so that would appear to add a degree of complexity to any move. Why, one might ask, would Durham PLU take on responsibility for a child born in Teesdale PLU? But I have no idea whether there would be any other reason for a move.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:36 am

The Laws of Settlement may be relevant here.

The child's birthplace is shown as "not known" in the 1851 census. Illegitimate children acquired settlement in the place where they were born. This may not be the same as the mother's place of settlement. Poor Law Unions only had responsibility for people with settlement in the Union. So an illegitimate child and the mother could well end up in different workhouses.

There's a description of the settlement laws in the workhouse website mentioned by Adrian.
peter kent

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:10 am

peter kent wrote:Illegitimate children acquired settlement in the place where they were born. This may not be the same as the mother's place of settlement.

Not true at this time. Following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, illegitimate children took the settlement of the mother.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:23 am

Brypye wrote:I found a Margaret Anderson born to Ann Anderson, unmarried, in Barnard castle workhouse in 1847.

Is it this baptism on FamilySearch?
Margaret, daughter of Ann
29 August 1847, Barnard Castle
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJ45-Q5T

Likely birth reg
ANDERSON, MARGARET
Mother's Maiden Surname:
GRO Reference: 1847 S Quarter in TEESDALE UNION Volume 24 Page 354

There's also a death reg of a Margaret the following year, but I don't have any burial details. Anderson is a common name up there.
ANDERSON, MARGARET
Age at Death (in years): 0
GRO Reference: 1848 J Quarter in TEESDALE UNION Volume 24 Page 246
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:47 pm

Margaret Anderson in question married Thomas Bennett Kaye at Durham St Margaret, 4 April 1870?
In columns for father's details it says "Parents not known"
A rarity - an open film of a Durham parish register on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=120430
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Newcastle Courant, 30 September 1870
At a meeting of the Weardale Union, Thomas Kaye, porter in the Durham Union Workhouse, and Mrs Kaye were appointed master and matron of the Weardale Union Workhouse.

Go back to 19 Sep
A letter from Mr Kaye, porter and general assistant at the Workhouse, and Mrs Kaye, the industrial teacher, was read, resigning these offices in consequence of having been appointed to offices of master and matron of the Weardale Union Workhouse.

1871 in Stanhope (piece 4859 folio 86 page 66)
Thomas Bennett Kaye Head 26 Master of the Weardale Union Workhouse
Margaret Kaye Wife 24 Matron of ditto, born Durham City
Thos Anderson Kaye Son 2 mo Durham Stanhope
Priscilla Kaye Mother
Followed by the new porter, etc.

1861 has a Margaret Anderson, 12, Scholar, born Scotland, in the Crossgate workhouse (a few other Andersons in there too I think)
ianbee

Postby avaline » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:53 pm

It may be unrelated, but Durham Records Online free index has an 1847 burial of an Elizabeth Anderson aged 1 of the Union House.

I don’t think she’s the Elizabeth Anderson mmn Charlton registered Q1 1847 as I think that child's parents were Thomas & Margaret, who can be found at Hobbs Wood House, Ebchester in 1851, along with another daughter, Ann aged 1, and 19 year old Eliza Charlton.

If all else fails it may be worth ordering Elizabeth's death certificate to see if that leads anywhere.
avaline

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:11 pm

ianbee wrote:Go back to 19 Sep
A letter from Mr Kaye, porter and general assistant at the Workhouse, and Mrs Kaye, the industrial teacher, was read, resigning these offices in consequence of having been appointed to offices of master and matron of the Weardale Union Workhouse.

I omitted something. I think that report was of a meeting of the Durham Board of Guardians?
And so the porter in Weardale in 1871 may not have been new!
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Brypye wrote:Ann appears to stay in Barnard castle workhouse until her death in 1878.

I cannot see anyone there called Ann Anderson in 1851 (starts piece 2387 folio 334 page 20, not many pages). I may have missed her, but if there isn't, then your question wouldn't apply in any case?

There is an Ann Anderson in that workhouse in 1871. But how do you know it is the same one who gave birth there previously?
Is the Margaret (born Scotland), 12, in the the Crossgate workhouse in 1861 likely to be the same Margaret who was there in 51? And then presumably becomes an employee there?
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries