Moderator Control Panel ]

Did children get moved between workhouses?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Did children get moved between workhouses?

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:56 pm

Of course I may have misunderstood!
Here's an index of the 1851 census of Barnard Castle Workhouse
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1194267

Only takes up three pages. Then on to 1861, five pages. John Garforth is still the Master.
Then in 1871 (image 253) Ann Anderson.
ianbee

Postby Brypye » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:45 pm

Wow, amazing, thank you so much for your replies- Thank you AdrianB, I will take a look at that website, and a really good point about them being different unions. Peter and ianbee, yes I'd heard of that rule, but I couldn't work out why her mother would have gone to Barnard castle if she was from central Durham.

ianbee, thanks yes that is the information I'm working from, I did order the birth certificate too, although I hadn't spotted the death of Margaret, so that could well be the Margaret born in Barnard castle and not my ancestor who married Thomas Bennett Kaye, and yes it says parents not known on the marriage certificate too. I've seen the newspaper clipping too, and have established her and Thomas became master and matron themselves (although another mystery is why they suddenly changed career and moved to Liverpool?). Yes you are right I can find and Ann Anderson in Barnard castle workhouse 1871 and possibly as a servant before that, but I have no proof she is the same Ann who gave birth to a Margaret. I'm assuming Scotland as place of birth is a mistake or something and that it's the same Margaret as all the other facts correlate, along with her future husband being assistant manager at a workhouse- I think what puzzles me is that even if Margaret had been left on the doorstep of the workhouse, wouldn't someone of baptised her, or recorded her birth as it was a legal requirement by then? Whether it was her real mother prior to abandoning or someone finding a baby?

Thanks Avaline, I hadn't come across that.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm going through my DNA matches on my Dad's side, but this might be a brick wall for a while.
Brypye

Postby avaline » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:05 am

The image of the burial of Elizabeth Anderson is on Familysearch - buried 14 Nov 1847. Unfortunately it doesn't give any additional information.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1808540
avaline

Previous

Return to General research queries