Moderator Control Panel ]

Charles Robert Dickinson - Barnes Wallis Connection

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Charles Robert Dickinson - Barnes Wallis Connection

Postby tpiy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:29 pm

I am researching Charles Robert Dickinson (1869 -1952) who worked for Vickers Armstrong as an Engineer. He worked on several projects in South America between 1922 and 1937. By the time of the 1939 register he had retired. The family believe that he worked alongside Barnes Wallis for a time, but this may just be a family story. Does anybody know if there is a repository for records of Vickers Armstrong employees or if there are any other details of staff who may have worked with Barnes Wallis at any time. Thank you for any help you can give.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
tpiy

Re: Charles Robert Dickinson - Barnes Wallis Connection

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Tyne & Wear Archives seem to hold some Vickers Armstrong stuff. See https://blog.twmuseums.org.uk/were-your ... ick-works/

However 1 - personnel records seem to be thin on the ground, generally, according to that page.

However 2 - I have no idea whether T&W hold all VA stuff or not - for instance, Supermarine of Spitfire fame went into VA but whether its archives were kept locally to Southampton or not, I have no idea. The TNA Discovery catalog is set up to return results from participating archives, not just Kew, so you should have a look for Vickers Armstrong in there.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:39 pm

This is from The National Archives Discovery catalogue https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /c/F251589.

Any other records should be found under Vickers Armstrongs. Unless the company had a particular reason to keep employees' records they would have been destroyed many years ago. Again if you look at TNA's catalogue under Barnes Wallis most but not all of Wallis' records are at the Science Museum in Swindon.
junkers

Postby MoVidger » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Ancestry has a 1925 record (with images) for Barnes Wallis in their UK, Civil Engineer Records, 1820-1930 collection. See below.
I scrolled through the record's dozen or so pages. Several pages indicate his apprenticeship and practical training with their dates and locations, some of which obviously mention Vickers Ltd., etc.
Perhaps you can cross-reference some of these dates/training with what you know about Charles Robert Dickinson?

UK, Civil Engineer Records, 1820-1930
Name: Barnes Neville Wallis
Birth Date: 26 Sep 1887
Nationality: British (English)
Residence: 23 Pepys Rd SE 14
Record Type: Proposal
Event Date: 21 Sep 1925
Certificate and Year Range: 17801-18000 (1926 Dec - 1927 Apr)
MoVidger

Postby tpiy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:27 am

Thank you all for your useful suggestions. Unfortunately there is little accessible online, and there may need to be a great deal of looking at non digitised records with limited chance of success. I found the Barnes Wallis images very interesting as they include reference to Shipbuilding. It is my belief that Charles Robert Dickinson was mainly involved in Shipbuilding for Argentina. On the 1939 Register he is listed as Maritime Engineer Retired (only shows on Find My Past - blanked out on Ancestry). He is listed as a First Class Passenger on several ships to Argentina between 1922 & 1937, during a time when Vickers Armstrong were helping Argentina build up the strength of its Navy.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
tpiy

Return to General research queries