Moderator Control Panel ]

Death in workhouse

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Death in workhouse

Postby Langarth15 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:12 pm

I have after nearly 40 years of looking found my gtgt grandmother's death in St Ann's Workhouse in Nottingham. Her surname was altered by a wrong spelling, but having gained her death certificate it was proved to be her. What I do not understand is that she had bought a substantial burial plot in Nottingham cemetary which must have proved relatively expensive. At least 4 more family members were later buried with her. Why would she have been in the workhouse if she had money to buy a plot and were inmates means tested, I can only assume most of them were without any means at all Finding any details for St Ann's Workhouse in 1867 online has been fruitless, so any ideas would be most helpful
Langarth15

Re: Death in workhouse

Postby Guy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Langarth15 wrote:I have after nearly 40 years of looking found my gtgt grandmother's death in St Ann's Workhouse in Nottingham. Her surname was altered by a wrong spelling, but having gained her death certificate it was proved to be her. What I do not understand is that she had bought a substantial burial plot in Nottingham cemetary which must have proved relatively expensive. At least 4 more family members were later buried with her. Why would she have been in the workhouse if she had money to buy a plot and were inmates means tested, I can only assume most of them were without any means at all Finding any details for St Ann's Workhouse in 1867 online has been fruitless, so any ideas would be most helpful

Workhouses were often used for medical care though if 1867 is when you gt gt grandmother died that is very early for reasonable medical care in a workhouse, but perhaps that was the only medical help open to her.
It was far more common in the early 20th century.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries