Moderator Control Panel ]

Decimated Graveyards

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Decimated Graveyards

Postby JaneyH » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 pm

Another thought on this one. A friend mentioned that it’s possible to “register an interest” in a particular grave (e.g. of an ancestor) even - or especially - when you live a long way away from the cemetery/churchyard. I don’t know the extent of the scheme, but there is then a legal obligation for those managing the site to inform you of any proposed changes.

I’ll drop him a quick email and try to get details.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:16 pm

phsvm wrote:... I just contacted the parish council, told them we'd like to pay for it's restoration, they said 'fine', I spoke to a local stone mason/head stone supplier, they did the job and we paid them.

You were lucky! My GG-GP's headstone got broken in a high wind (allegedly) so had to be replaced. I had to purchase the right of burial to the grave before I could organize the new stone (see https://brucefuimus.wordpress.com/2011/09/11/thomas-taylor-engine-driver-of-crewe/). Different places, different rules, I guess.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:57 am

Adrian
I had forgotten that! We had to do that for Mum. The plot was still in her Mothers name. It was quite a rigmarole, not to mention the expense! Fortunately the graveyard is maintained, even though in the same city as the other one I have mentioned. But I would think if repairs were needed in either of them we would have to hold the burial rites.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby phsvm » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Meekhcs - I've sent you a PM. Let me know if you haven't received it!
phsvm

Postby meekhcs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Thank you I have seen it and replied.
meekhcs

Postby phsvm » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:15 pm

On a slightly different tack but also about maintenance of graves. I'd been researching a Woman Red Cross worker who died during WW1 in 1918. I knew she had died in Troyes but that was all. A lady in Belgium who was doing a similar project and who I was in touch with managed to contact the authorities in Troyes who confirmed they knew where the grave was but that as no one had ever spoken to them about it they were about to destroy/clear it.

With her intervention they have now agreed to maintain it. A great result but had the authorities not offered this we were planning on a crowd funding page to raise funds to maintain it.
phsvm

Postby chids » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:25 pm

If differs between different local authorities from area to area, but to protect a graveyard/cemetery in some instances you can register an interest in the graveyard, that way you have to be notified if the land is to be sold off or redeveloped for example.

I successfully campaigned to get planning permission for new properties on the site of an old rundown graveyard overturned by raising a campaign.
chids

Postby chids » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:13 pm

You might also be interested in this article I wrote on the subject.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2017/10 ... ve-danger/
chids

Postby Guy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:30 pm

chids wrote:You might also be interested in this article I wrote on the subject.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2017/10 ... ve-danger/

I totally agree with your suggestion regarding contacting the authority who manages the burial site and register your “interest”.
I would also suggest signing the visitor's book every time you visit a church and note the surnames or family you are interested in.
I also add my email address in case anyone wants to contact me.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Previous

Return to General research queries