Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 register query Bertram Denton Price

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1939 register query Bertram Denton Price

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions I am after some help with please.

I have a sub to ancestry and just curious to know if the records that are on FMP have the opposite page or more of the opposite page to the entries available on ancestry.

The other question is if anyone can help to fully decipher what role he was doing at the outbreak of war. I can decipher from about the middle of the second line, "....county A.R.P control...member of 1st aid party.." I am not sure if there is more wording chopped off by the ancestry scans at all.

Any assistance on this one is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan
Attachments
Bertram snip.jpg
Bertram snip.jpg (115.6 KiB) Viewed 496 times
Jethro Tull

Re: 1939 register query Bertram Denton Price

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:06 pm

Reserve message .............. at east Suffolk etc

Who is it? I'll check FMP.
Templ4r

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Thanks Templ4r,

Its a Bertram Denton Price born 10th December 1901. By the 1939 census he is living in Ipswich with his wife Sybil Price.

I wondered if it was "Reserve message..." but cant read the rest to make sense of it, the E.S makes sense for East Suffolk seeing as he is in Ipswch.

Cheers

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:52 pm

Exactly the same image. Looks like everyone have a guess.
Last edited by Templ4r on Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Templ4r

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks for checking it out and letting me know. Maybe other will be able to have a guess at the wording.

Cheers

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Reserve message supervisor???

Covers when message supervisor not there??
Templ4r

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:38 pm

Cheers for the suggestion.

Hmm, not sure its supervisor as I don't think I can see the "p" dropping down.

I think the whole text now though is "Reserve message ....(??????)..... at E.S Count A.R.P control, member of 1st aid party"

I think.

Cheers

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:29 pm

Jethro Tull wrote:... I don't think I can see the "p" dropping down. ...

Have a look at the line below - his wife is on "unpaid domestic duties" as per usual, and the "p" of "unpaid" doesn't drop down at all. In fact, it's rather an odd shape but it is, to me, exactly like the putative "p" in "supervisor".

Apparently the right-hand page after the column that we see here was not accessioned by TNA, who once said:
Each entry in the Register extended across a double page spread. However, the accessioned digital record does not include the ‘postings’ column on the right hand page which contains various codes used for National Registration and National Health Service purposes. The National Archives does not have access to this column and the information it contains.

(Thanks to ColeValleyGirl of the Family Historian User Group). Bear in mind that this was a digital accession, i.e. the paper books remain with the NHS - possibly down a salt mine by now?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 pm

Folks, many thanks for the input.

I reckon that's cracked it then, i hadnt even noticed the wifes wording, too focused on my man.

Team forum to the rescue!

Gives me something to work on, looks like my guy stayed in the Civil Defence Corps after WW2 as I know he was awarded a long service medal.

Thanks again for help and suggestions.

Cheers

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby Guy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 am

Jethro Tull wrote:Hello all,

I have a couple of questions I am after some help with please.

I have a sub to ancestry and just curious to know if the records that are on FMP have the opposite page or more of the opposite page to the entries available on ancestry.

The other question is if anyone can help to fully decipher what role he was doing at the outbreak of war. I can decipher from about the middle of the second line, "....county A.R.P control...member of 1st aid party.." I am not sure if there is more wording chopped off by the ancestry scans at all.

Any assistance on this one is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

With regards to the 1939 National Registration images everyone FindMyPast, National Archives, Ancestry and any other company that licences the images of the 1939 National Registration use the images FindMyPast produced when they scanned the books.
Differences come in the redaction process, in that FindMyPast & the National Archives open images before anyone else (and presumably redact images that should not yet be open) then the unreadacted updates are notified to other licencees, who then replace the images their site(s) when it suits them.

The main difference is in the indexing and transcription of the images which, other than FindMyPast & the National Archives, is done by individual companies.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries