Moderator Control Panel ]

Tarraga

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Tarraga

Postby Templ4r » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm helping my good friend, Michael Tarraga ( Google him, he's written 2 books) try and find his past.

He was born a twin and his mother left them and a sister at the hospital and disappeared. They were put into care, which is the subject of the books, and were split up when he was about 4 and never saw each other again.
He was given a copy of his birth certificate that was held in the Care system, so he knew his father and mothers names. They didn't marry, though she puts her name as Tarraga on Mikes BC.

We got his sisters BC and that gives the mothers maiden name, as she was married before, that obviously led us to her marriage in 1940 so we know her age and her father ( if it's true). We have found a birth that matches and are awaiting the BC. Hopefully, we are on the road to her line.

Mikes father was Mario. The only thing he knows about him is the Care records say he was Spanish. He married in 1954 and the MC says his father was Manuel. There is a Mario marrying in Wiltshire in 1943, we have that certificate coming to see if it is him. If it is, that's the first mention of him, so what I'm struggling with is finding out when he came to the UK. He died in 1982. Mikes brother died in 1981, his sister was killed by her husband a few months after they married in 1966.

I've tried the usual sources for passenger lists, immigration, etc. Has anyone any more ideas of where we can find him coming to the UK and where from?
Templ4r

Re: Tarraga

Postby RedCarp » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Was he possibly naturalised? He would have needed some kind of paperwork to get a ration book.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
RedCarp

Postby Templ4r » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:11 pm

I got the marriage cert for Wiltshire, it's the same man. Occupation as in the Pioneer corps and from Portsmouth. Got a birth certificate for a daughter and he has a service number and is in the Spanish company, Pioneer corps.

I've found records for the No1 Spanish Corps at the NA but there is still a 29 year closure on them.

His death certificate just gives Spain as place of birth.
Templ4r

Postby MaureenE » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Posting this link for information, although it seems Templ4r is aware of it.
"No. 1 (Spanish) Company of the Pioneer Corps in WW2"
https://balagan.info/no-1-spanish-compa ... rps-in-ww2

Perhaps if you have not already done so, you could ask on WW2Talk Forum

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Templ4r » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Thank you Maureen, I'll give that WW2 forum a try.

There's a very good chance that one of those men is Mikes father. There are a couple of lists posted but his name isn't there. I have asked if anyone can check any documents they have and am awaiting a reply from one Gentleman. It appears that a few men stayed in the Chippenham area and married, so we have thought about contacting the local paper to see if anyone replys.

I have got the birth certificate for Mikes half sisters, half brother ( same mother, no father on the BC) his marriage certificate and confirmed a daughter who has had children and still lives in Somerset.

I have Mikes mothers line back quite well to Monmouthshire, but she disappears in 1950 from the Electoral rolls. There is no trace of her after that, so it's a matter of keep on looking.

EDIT; I checked further down the page and the Gentleman has checked the NA and his records and confirmed he wasn't in one of the Sconces ( trained to go back and fight the Axis) but another suggested applying for his army file which he says should exist.
Templ4r

Postby MaureenE » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:25 pm

WW2Talk http://ww2talk.com/index.php

In the link above I posted (post 4), it was indicated that many of the men in the regiment had originally been with the French Foreign Legion.

Service historique de la Défense [SHD] is the French military archives, which I image would include records for the French Foreign Legion, although I don't know. Perhaps it would be with enquiring whether there is a service file there.
https://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr

If you should prefer a French researcher, I have no knowledge of the following, other than she has an informative blog, but she does Skype conferences (presumably for a fee)
https://french-genealogy.typepad.com/ge ... ct-us.html

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby junkers » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:57 pm

Templ4r wrote:I got the marriage cert for Wiltshire, it's the same man. Occupation as in the Pioneer corps and from Portsmouth. Got a birth certificate for a daughter and he has a service number and is in the Spanish company, Pioneer corps.

I've found records for the No1 Spanish Corps at the NA but there is still a 29 year closure on them.

His death certificate just gives Spain as place of birth.

Do you mean The National Archives at Kew because I can't see the closed records.
junkers

Postby elsabels » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 am

There is a Mario Roberto Tarraga
born Feb 1920
married 1953
lived in Lambeth Kennington Lane 1954/1955
died March 1982
Grant of Probate Brighton 23 July 1982

Eileen M nee Dixon b 29 Nov 1924
Married Mario TarragO 1943
died 11 June 2010 Chippenham Wilts

There are several Tarraga births listed on freebmd

Have you looked on the 1939 Register for the mother as Wattle?
elsabels

Postby MayHam » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:49 am

Further to elsabels post...
Mario Roberto Tarraga was born 8 Feb 1920. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
He died 1 Mar 1982, 79 Este Rd., Battersea & was cremated the 10th at Putney Vale Crematorium.
(The last name is mis-indexed as Tarrasa.)
https://enable.imagestor.co.uk/search/p ... rch2.aspx#

Jose Maria Tarrega Travesi, a Spanish soldier and son of Manuel Tarrega (sic) and Elisa Travesi, was born in Madrid on 7 Sep 1897.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP3T-FWT7

The above Manuel died 8 Mar 1931 near Madrid.
After a long and painful illness, endured Christianly, he died on Sunday in Carabanchel Bajo, having received with great fervor all the sacraments, the retired Lieutenant Colonel of the General Staff, Mr. Manuel Tarrega y Sanchez-Jijon.

To his widow, Mrs. Elisa Travesi Cos-Gayon; sons, daughters-in-law, grandchildren and sisters-in-law, and in particular our dear companion in Prensa Espanola [Spanish Press] Mr. Andre Maria Travesi, nephew of the deceased, we testify to the sincere expression of our condolence.

Después de larga y penosa enfermedad, soportada cristianamente, fallecio el domingo en carabanchel bajo, habiendo recibido con gran fervor todos los sacramentos, el teniente coronel de Estado Mayor, retirado, D. Manuel Tarrega y Sanchez- Jijon.

A su viuda, Dona Elisa Travesi Cos-Gayon; hijos, hijas politicas, nietos y hermanas politicas, y en particular a nuestro querido companero en Prensa Espanola D.[on] Andre Maria Travesi, sobrino del finado, testimoniamos la expresion sincera de nuestra condolencia.
http://hemeroteca.abc.es/nav/Navigate.e ... gle.com%2F

No idea if this is the right Manuel, though.
MayHam

Postby Templ4r » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Mikes mother Mavis was in Monmouth in 1939, maiden name Morgan ( which I got from Mikes sisters BC) and married about 13 weeks later to Alexander Waddell in Willesden. He died back in Scotland, I have his BC and DC to confirm it's him. The Care records I have say she was from Scotland, so I assume she'd been up there at some point and left her husband.
Mario had married in Chippenham, had a daughter and seems to have deserted them and gone to London where he had 3 children. No trace of a marriage. He marries again in 1953. Care papers say he wants nothing to do with his children. He died in 1982, DC just says born in Spain.

The Tarragas in Wiltshire are Mikes half sister and step brother, the rest are the step brothers family. The Tarragans in Norfolk are Mikes children. The more I find out, the sadder the story gets. It is helping a 70 year old man with his past and reasons why he was put into care. He has cancer and had a stroke 3 months ago and is actually very happy that he can read about his ancestors and who he is.

I'll check out those fresh links and Thank you to all that have helped, it's much appreciated.
Templ4r

Next

Return to General research queries