Moderator Control Panel ]

Dna Genealogy

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dna Genealogy

Postby vito74 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Has anyone on here tested with any DNA companies? If so what are your ? I have done a couple of blog write ups on dnagenealogy.blog on the three big ones.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
vito74

Re: Dna Genealogy

Postby zoelee900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:29 pm

I have recently used 23 and me what is it that you would like to know?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
zoelee900

Postby Guy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:19 pm

vito74 wrote:Has anyone on here tested with any DNA companies? If so what are your ? I have done a couple of blog write ups on dnagenealogy.blog on the three big ones.

I have tested myself, my wife and 6 others on MyHeritage and myself & my wife on Ancestry.
I do not understand what you mean by "If so what are your ?"

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby vito74 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 pm

It should have said, if so what are your opinions on the various ones.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
vito74

Postby Guy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 pm

My Heritage is the most useful for UK based families, but Ancestry have a larger database size.

Having stated that I have 8596 3rd cousin or less matches on My Heritage and 389 4th cousin or less matches on Ancestry
My wife has 4897 3rd cousin or less matches on My Heritage and 238 4th cousin or less matches on Ancestry.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:15 pm

I think it depends what you want from the test.
FTDNA offers specific tests ie Y chromosome (paternal) and mtDNA (maternal) but Ancestry is one test fits all.
Something like My Heritage or Gedmatch allows you to upload your results from other testing sites for comparison for free. Gedmatch has recently been bought out.
For more in depth analysis in My Heritage there is a fee and if you test with them it will show matches that have been uploaded from other test sites.
Ancestry does not allow you to upload results from other sites. They offer suggested thru lines to 5th gt g’parent stage which in my opinion are not altogether helpful because of inaccuracies in people’s trees.
My advice look at all the websites and base your decision on which one delivers what you personally want

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 pm

I think you are getting confused between Ancestry Trees and Ancestry DNA.
The matches from Ancestry DNA, are based solely on comparing DNA samples and the Trees do not come into it!

In fact, for many of my matches there isn’t a tree on Ancestry, making the finding of common Ancestors difficult, if not impossible.

Likewise with Gedmatch. Although one can see where the matches occur i.e. which Chromosome etc, many users don’t have trees either! (Why do they bother :shock: !)
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:01 pm

I think perhaps I didn’t explain myself very well.
I was talking specifically about the thrulines option they now offer with DNA matches.
These thrulines are put together by using the trees constructed by people with whom you have a DNA match. They should be treated with caution and as I have found are not necessarily correct.
For the inexperienced researcher it is just another means by which they will add incorrect info to their trees because they will believe that because it is in their thrulines it must be correct.
Is that logical?

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:31 pm

More information on Thrulines here: https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/articl ... -ThruLines

I’ve found them useful, but obviously you’re still relying on the quality of multiple Ancestry trees. To be fair, the sections which are stitched together are highlighted in bright green with a button to click “evaluate”.
JaneyH

Return to General research queries