Moderator Control Panel ]

New militia records on ancestry

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Postby junkers » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:36 pm

I have no intention of getting Fold 3 but the index lists places of birth which are clearly wrong (Carlisle and Cardiff are both listed as being in Scotland!) and mis-spelling of Kirkintilloch. This is why I don't like describing information 'as seen' when it is clearly wrong, it is not just ancestry, The National Archives are similar and why I am reluctant to do transcription but I will do my bit for Transcription Day.
junkers

Re: New militia records on ancestry

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Hmm - could very well be Ancestry but without seeing the original, I wouldn't be certain about blaming anyone other than the Army. There are some unbelievable place-names in the originals. And that's before we throw in the question of whether an apparent quote mark (") means ditto or is simply a place holder representing "Nothing in this column, I'm just keeping everything lined up..."
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:24 pm

How to waste some time satisfying my own curiosity!

The War Office: Militia Attestation Papers (WO 96) are on FindMyPast so unless there is a tranche not on FMP but on Fold3, those of us with access to FMP need not worry about the Ancestry militia records being behind two pay-walls.

I've not done a wide survey, just a quick one for my own interest - FMP has 4 records in WO96 that are from "Carlisle, Scotland". They all have those two words on the original papers.

The first one refers to someone born "in the parish of Longtown, near the town of Carlisle, in the county of Dumfrieshire". Err yes, that does look a bit odd.

More explicable is the second, born "in the parish of Gretna, near the town of Carlisle, in the county of Dumfrieshire". Now, if you note that it's only near Carlisle and interpret the county to refer to the birthplace of Gretna - then that one, weirdly, makes sense - particularly if reordered to "in the parish of Gretna, in the county of Dumfrieshire, near the town of Carlisle". Yes, it is stretching it a bit and doesn't explain the Longtown example!

Conversely, if I access the Ancestry data and request birthplace of Carlisle with a keyword of Scotland (bearing in mind that this will bring up people born in Carlisle and recruited in Scotland) then there are some weird entries - John Nixon, 2629, has an indexed birthplace of Carlisle, Carlisle, Cumberland, Scotland. Huh? "So good they named it twice..."? Except even that makes some sense - he was born "in the parish of Carlisle, near the town of Carlisle, in the county of Cumberland" (if you replace the ditto brackets). Where the Scotland comes from though, I have no idea, unless it's carried over from the current residence, which is in Dumfrieshire.

At this point my curiosity ran out! So, a handful of Army oddities versus probably a lot more Ancestry oddities - important to warn people, so thanks for the thread and the interest.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:42 pm

Something rang a bell when I read about the query regarding Carlisle and Scotland. I imagine most of us know about the disputed border region on the east coast at Berwick but there is/was a disputed area on the western border in the area of Carlisle/Dumfries. As the original topic is related to the militia (? 18/19th century) perhaps these disputed lands are what is causing the confusion.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Well done, brunes. You just reminded me that I got a book out of the library, The Debatable Land. Looks good. I have renewed it, now I must get on and read it!
ianbee

Return to Genealogy chat