Moderator Control Panel ]

Code on Baptism entry - Answered Thank you

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Code on Baptism entry - Answered Thank you

Postby elsabels » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:32 pm

For a change I need some help!

I looked at the Baptism record on ancestry for John DODD bp 14 Feb 1830 Wybunbury Cheshire, illegit son of Maria DODD

There is now an additional entry RDF_familymemberlink_Father 30089181 ! Can someone advise me what it means please

Thank you in advance

Jean
Last edited by elsabels on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsabels

Re: Code on Baptism entry

Postby MoVidger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:30 am

I'll no doubt stand corrected, but RDF might be "Research Data Filer" and relate to a genealogical software package. For example, a GEDCOM file can be converted to RDF.

On a separate note, FMP has both 1830 baptism images for John Dodd. Maria's abode is listed as Stapeley.
MoVidger

Postby elsabels » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:12 am

McVidger, thank you for your prompt response, yes the family are recorded as Stapeley which is part of the village of Wybunbury Cheshire.

It was just that the entry wasn't recorded when I originally looked at this record on line. I originally acquired the info from the Parish Register, Chester RO years ago!

My ancestor Thomas has Joseph Prince a victualler as his father on his marriage certificate, sister Eliza has fathers name as John Church..., a researcher on ancestry has Jos Prince as John's father...yet John cannot be found other than his baptism. He could of course have adopted his mother's married surname.

Maria had at least 5 illegit children before marrying a 'toyboy'.

Jean
elsabels

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:57 am

elsabels wrote:... There is now an additional entry RDF_familymemberlink_Father 30089181 ! Can someone advise me what it means please ...

How interesting! The "TLDR" ("Too Long Did Not Read") summary is - "Ignore it, it's meaningless!"

In more detail: If I go to Ancestry and make a query, I can get 23 John Dodd baptisms - not all for yours, but yours is the first. I only see the RDF value when I hover my cursor over that entry. If I select the entry then what comes up is (roughly)
John Dodd
in the Cheshire, England, Select Bishop's Transcripts, 1576-1933

Name: John Dodd
Baptism Date: 14 Feb 1830
Baptism Place: Wybunbury, Cheshire, England
Father: [No Name]
Mother: Maria Dodd
FHL Film Number: 1850128

Notice the "Father: [No Name]" bit. It's a link in the same way that the mother's name is a link - but, unlike the mother's name, it's a link that doesn't go anywhere. Somehow, FamilySearch (who provide the "Select" indexes) and / or Ancestry have messed up. The father's name should have been omitted totally (as it is in the Cheshire, England, Parish Registers, 1538-1909 version) but it's been entered as if the father was called Mr. "[No Name]" And then the system has tried to create a link to it. And somewhere, because this just isn't supposed to happen, the system falls apart slightly with your RDF text and the [No Name] entry.

The error starts out with FamilySearch it seems, because if I look for that entry with the additional criteria of film 1850128, what we see includes:
Father's Name: /
Mother's Name: Maria Dodd

Again, the "/" should have been omitted completely, not allowed to be created as an entry in its own right.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby elsabels » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:45 pm

Adrian

Yes you are correct it only appears when you hover over the ancestry initial entry. That makes sense now,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

Jean
elsabels

Return to General research queries