Moderator Control Panel ]

What happened to Alfred John Newland?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

What happened to Alfred John Newland?

Postby GillyW » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Alfred Newland (aka John Alfred) is my Great Grandfather, b. 8 Dec 1851 in Hertford.

I would like to know:
when, where, and in what circumstances he died. I cannot find a death certificate for him.
Why he and his family moved to Bristol

He enlisted in the Army in 1871, Reg. No 2027, Regiment:96th Foot. He spent certainly the latter half of his career as a Private in the Army Hospital Corps, aka the Medical Staff Corps. He left the Army in 1892, and he appears on the Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensions & Discharges 1715-1925, recorded as Medical Staff Corps, Private, Regimental No:4108. I am not sure if he actually was awarded a pension. Need to research that at TNA. If he had a pension, it will have been stopped when he died.

He married Celia Annie Wilkins, in the Parish Church at Widcombe, Bath, Somerset on 31 Dec 1885. I can find no information as to how they pitched up in Bath, but I have found the church where they married and the house where they were living/staying at the time!

On discharge from the Army he became a Postman in Derby, and I have tracked some of his Postal Service career up to the 1901 Census. The Postal Service Museum Archive staff were helpful, but advised that I probably have all the information there is to be had about his Postal Service career, and a trip there specifically is probably not justified.

By 1905 he and his family (9 children) moved to Bristol. I have a photograph of him and his wife Celia Annie taken in Bristol. I do not know why they moved to Bristol. Although Celia came from West Pennard, Somerset, I can think of no reason to do so. At this time, as far as I know, there was no family connection with Bristol.

Celia died in 1905. Her death certificate records her as the wife of Alfred. He is recorded as a Labourer. So he obviously had left the Postal Service.

Alfred re-married in 1908, Louisa Harriet Griffin (nee Robinson), in Bristol. He seems to have stayed in the same neighbourhood as when he first came to Bristol.

I cannot find either Alfred or Harriet in the 1911 Census. I do know Harriet died in 1916, in Bristol. She is recorded as "wife of" rather than "widow of" Alfred on the death certificate, implying he was still alive. Again, he is recorded as a Labourer.

Four of Alfred's children were married between 1912 and 1920, and on each of their Parish Marriage Register entries Alfred is recorded as deceased, and his occupation as Postman.

I can't find a record of his death on the GRO indexes.

Has anyone any ideas about where/how I go from here to get the information I am looking for? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be very gratefully received.
GillyW

Re: What happened to Alfred John Newland?

Postby phsvm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:49 pm

You say Harriet died in 1916 and the implication is that Alfred was alive then because she's listed as 'wife of''. However, you then go on to say that marriage certificates for his children, including one in 1912 lists him as 'deceased' which contradicts your suggestion that he was still alive in 1916.

Obviously one of these is incorrect so you need to look at both possibilities.

A wild card but there's a John Newland's death registered in Newton Abbot in March Q 1939. Do you know if any of his children moved to Devon? It might be worth seeing if you can find a John Newland in Newtow Abbot prior to this date and if he appears to come from nowhere it might be worth having a look at this one.
phsvm

Postby ianbee » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 pm

There is a report about an Alfred John Newland and his wife in the Western Daily Press, 16 July 1910 (attached)
One of the cases at Bristol Police Court.
Attachments
Western Daily Press 16 July 1910.JPG
Western Daily Press 16 July 1910.JPG (169.25 KiB) Viewed 407 times
ianbee

Postby GillyW » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 am

Thank you both for your replies, which I will follow up.

Both could be a significant lead. Alfred's daughter was living in Devon in 1939. The piece from the Western Daily Press is also food for thought and follow up.

Thank you both for your help.
GillyW

Return to General research queries