Moderator Control Panel ]

Where were the Keeble family in 1871?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Where were the Keeble family in 1871?

Postby phsvm » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 pm

I am having no luck in finding this family in 1871. They may have been in the Chelsea area of Middlesex or in Layer De La Haye in Essex.

What I do know/surmise:
Alfred Keeble and Eliza Smith married in Shoreditch Dist in Sept Q 1869, presumably just before the birth of their son Frederick Albert Keeble on 24 August 1869. He was born in Layer De La Haye, Essex (according to census returns).

Alfred and Eliza's daughter Kate Elizabeth Keeble was born in Sept Q 1871 in Chelsea.
The locations of Frederick's and Kate's births would suggest that sometime between 1869 and 1871 the family moved from Layer De La Haye to Chelsea, although the fact that they had married in Shoreditch does seem to cast a small question mark over whether or not they did live in Layer De La Haye.

By the 1881 census Eliza and the children are living in Kensington and Eliza ia listed as a widow.
Therefore Alfred must have died between 1870 and 1881. There is only one registered death for an Alfred Keeble in this period who could be him - Alfred Keeble, St Olave (which is Southwark) in June Q 1872, aged 28.

Frederick's marriage certificate from 1895 lists his father as Alfred Keeble, deceased, a Coachman.

With all this I am unable to find the family in 1871.

BEWARE - there are a huge number of Keebles all living or being born in Layer De La Haye and with a very limited number of first names. Although I can find plenty of individuals who fit into many of the criteria I can't find any that fit exactly.
phsvm

Re: Where were the Keeble family in 1871?

Postby Templ4r » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:14 pm

He's down as Alfred Keech on The Genealogist and Ancestry in 1871.

Address 8 Caroline Place
Parish Chelsea
Registration District Chelsea
Image Reference RG10/0088/F?

Forename Surname Age Year Born Relation Birth Place Occupation
Alfred Keech 26 1845 Head Layer De La Haye Coachman
Eliza Keech 23 1848 Wife Essex
Albert Keech 19m 1870 Son Chelsea
Templ4r

Postby phsvm » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:22 pm

I've been looking at this too long obviously as this complete passed me by!

Many thanks.
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Now having found the family in 1871 I'm stuck tracing Alfred and his father prior to his marriage.

His marriage registration is available on Ancestry and shows his father as Henry Keeble, also a coachman, that Alfred was of full age - his 1871 census entry suggests a year of birth as 1844 - and that at the time of his marriage he was living in Iver Heath.

I'm now unable to find him prior to his marriage in 1869 or his father at all.

I suspect the Iver Heath location may be a bit of a red herring and that his only connection to the place was his employment. There is also a tendency in the family to either switch first and second names around or to use only second names. However, I would have though the occupation of 'Coachman' combined with the surname Keeble should make them stand out.
phsvm

Postby avaline » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 am

Possible connections.

Ancestry also has two marriages for Arthur Frederick Keeble, in 1872 and 1880, both at St John of Jerusalem, South Hackney.

In the first he is a mariner & his father is named as Henry James Keeble, Coachman. By the second marriage he is a barman and his father is just Henry Keeble, Coachman.
There is also a Freemason record for him in 1885, Bromley, which gives a DoB of 1849.

Baptism 26 Aug 1849 Coggeshall, St Peter Ad Vincula, Essex, Arthur Frederick s/o Henry & Fanny Keble.

Henry & Fanny are on the 1851 census in Coggeshall with children William, James, Edward & Arthur. Henry was born c1815 Marks Tey and is a groom.

I cant see any obvious connection between Arthur Frederick & Alfred, other than them both naming their father as Henry Keeble, Coachman.

However, at the same church as Arthur Frederick, but in 1865, a Henry James Keeble, Porter, married Sarah Frost. His father was named as Henry Keeble, Farm Labourer. The 1871 census shows Henry & Sarah with son Lewis, and Henry’s PoB is given as Layer De La Haye c1843.

Henry is on the 1851 census in Layer De La Haye as grandson to William & Susan, and has a younger brother, Alfred
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGVW-V8R

KEEBLE, HENRY JAMES (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1843 S Quarter in LEXDEN & WINSTREE UNION Volume 12 Page 141
KEEBLE, ALFRED (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1846 S Quarter in LEXDEN AND WINSTREE UNION Volume 12 Page 142

There is a 17 year old uncle named James Keeble in the same household, and by 1871 I think he is a labourer in Chelsea and has a wife named Ann (Bushell) who he married in 1856.

If the 1846 birth is 'your' Alfred then the index suggests he was illegitimate, which might explain why you can't find him with his named father?
avaline

Postby phsvm » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks Avaline. That sounds logical.

A little addition to that is that some years after Alfred's death his widow Eliza married Henry James Keeble. Henry's first wife Susan (although you've said Sarah but census marriage reg etc list her as Susan so I suspect that's a typo) had given birth to 11 children before dying in 1897.

On the 1911 census Eliza and Henry are have Eliza and Alfred's daughter Kate living with them. Kate is listed as niece which I initially thought was an error but in fact not only was she the head of the household's step daughter but also his niece.

As for Henry James and Alfred being illigitimate I wonder if they were actually the children of one of Henry Senior's sisters, but put their uncle as their father on the marriage certificates.
phsvm

Postby avaline » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:03 pm

Oops sorry, yes, don't know where Sarah came from!

I hadn't followed Kate so didn't see that she was living with Henry James & Eliza in 1901 & 1911, but it does seem to tie up the connection nicely.
avaline

Postby phsvm » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:56 pm

I think I now need to order Alfred's birth certificate to see who his mother is. If it is one of Henry Senior's sisters then it would reinforce the suggestion that he acted as a 'father figure' to the boys which is why they listed him on their marriage certificates.
phsvm

Return to General research queries